In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.22-6mm Ackley Improved

FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
I read a small article in this months American rifleman. The thing sounds like a .22-250 on steroids.[:D] anybody have one of these custom gems?

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FrancF,

It is indeed the 22-250 on steroids! One of the versions that has gotten a ton of press has been the .224 Texas Trophy Hunter. I've shot two of the Ackley versions for short periods of time and I always kept a back up barrel handy because of the fairly short life.

I saw no reason to waste the case capacity on light bullets so my barrels used fast twist rates and I loaded for the heaviest bullets. The barrels were longer than 'normal' simply to give all that powder a chance to burn and create the highest velocities possible. Mine were extremely accurate and I used one of them for long range target shooting (1,000 yards) and I reserved the other for long range varmint shooting.

Right now, I'm using the 22-250 Ackley Improved because the balance is much better for most barrel lengths and heavier bullets. The barrel life appears to be much better also.

Best.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Thinking about building one, be SURE and get at LEAST a 26" barrel...and 28 would be better.

My barrel is 26"..I wanted 3600 fps out of the 80 grainer...and cannot get it. In fact, 3500 fps is too hot.
    That being said..the first three rounds went into .076 at 100 yards. I have fired a total of 50 3-shot groups with the rifle, working different loads...and have not shot a group over .500.

Disappointed over the inability to get that 3600, I put the rifle away..but will dig it out one of these days to try some long range shooting with it.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    They will shoot great, there is no doubt about that, but ya better have really deep pockets cause you'll be replacing barrels once a month.
    I tore the throat out of a 22/6mm AI 28 inch 8 twist Pac-Nor in less than 800 rounds, but it would put 3 into less than a inch at 400 yards with 80 gr SMK's.......
    I had that barrel rebored to a 10 twist 6mm and now shoot it with 80 gr Fowler FB's as a 6mm Ackley and so far it has over 1000 rounds out of it and the throat is still good to go.......
  • Options
    northernAZhunternorthernAZhunter Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too read the article in American Rifleman and it peaked my interest. I talked to a local gunsmith who built a rifle for me a few yrs ago. His comments were just as some of the previous post...its a great accurate long range cal but is over bored and has short barrle life...He is also suggesting a 22-250 Ackley. From some of those who are in the know, that sounds like pretty good avise no?