In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30-06

CoochCooch Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭
My son in law just got a mossberg bolt action 30-06. I have never seen it but he wants some loads for it. He is just using them for target shooting. He says 100 to 200 yd max. I am looking for 2 things. First a load using commercial bullets that would work and second if anyone has experience in casting their own lead for target loads in this cal I would appreciate a bullet suggestion as well as a load. I am just getting into casting (first supplies are being ordered this week) so I can use all of the advice I can get.

Thanks guys

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Simple question. For just target shooting would surplus do or should I reload. I am a long range shooter KD range 500 and 600. So the 100 range should group in very tight.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cooch,

One of the cheapest things I can tell you for paper punching is to get milsurp 147 gr. or 150 gr. For the time spent it's the cheapest way to go. If not, any auction site is bound to have some cast lead auctions. If you want to get into casting your own it will pay off in the long run.
  • Options
    scrubberguyscrubberguy Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cooch:
    I'm going to agree with sandwarrior the Milsurp 147/150 are the way to go. Glad to see another shooter trying to cast bullets.

Cast bullets in a rifle caliber, especially 30-06, is a hit and miss thing at best. Velocities are so low that a major redialing of sights is needed if you switch ammo to "standard" velocity loads. Another good reason to pursue sandwarriors suggestion.

I found that casting pistol bullets best way to start casting. The larger the bullet the more "forgiving" the learning curve in pouring, fluxing and alloying.

If you need help when you melt your first batch post and we'll assist as possible.[8D]
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you don't already have a supply of brass you would be ahead to buy low priced ammo of some sort. Once you shoot those you can reload that brass. If you want loads for shorter range practice and have brass look in the manuals for a starting load using 150 grain bullets and 4895 or 4064 powder. Either of these work well with less than max charges and will provide good performance later on when you want heavier hunting loads. For the type of practice you stated, any type of bullet will work. Depending on where you shoot, you might not want or be restricted from using fmj ammo.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the advice so far.

As for the casting...I shoot and reload a BUNCH of .38, .40, and .44 mag and with prices going through the roof I decided to start "rolling my own" bullets instead of buying cast. I just thought that if I could mimic performance in rifle I would buy the molds as well. But I have never done it and other than laying in a supply of wheel weights and ordering pistol molds and a Lee Pro Pot IV, I am just starting.

When I get the materials together I am going to be asking a lot of questions...such as just exactly what IS fluxing? LOL

As for brass on rifle cartridges...I have about 100 rounds of .30-06, about 200 of .308, and about 250 of .30-30. But maybe I will be best staying with commercial pills for these if there is a significant drop at short range.

Thanks again and keep the advice coming!!
  • Options
    I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
    edited November -1
    I suggest you get a copy of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook. It will have EVERY answer to EVERY question you will have, right at your fingertips.

You won't have to wait a couple days for that important answer.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I cast both pistol and rifle bullets. The Lyman book is the bible on cast bullets. As far a molds are concerned; get a couple of Lee molds that have a gas checked design. They are cheap and will cast thousands of bullets. I have found that the heavier the cast bullet is the better it shoots in the 30-06. I have pushed them to almost 2100 FPS with no problems. My rifle bullets are cast from pure linotype alloy and lubed with 50/50 alox beeswax mixture.
  • Options
    ladamsladams Member Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I usually buy Mil-Surp 150 grain FMJ's for about 75 bucks a thousand on the net. This is about as cheap as you will find for 30.06 bullets. Great for punching paper, not for hunting use.
  • Options
    tinmantinman Member Posts: 126 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found for plinking at 100 yds a 90 gr cast bullet up to a 180 gr bullet works great, if youre budget is low go for lee moulds they work great for me (IE 1/2 inch @100 yds) I have even shot up to 400 yds with cast 180 gr loads and got 1 1/2 inch group from prone postion
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Nothing wrong with cast bullets. A 180 gr RN gas check with 50/50 alox/beeswax lube and 17 gr of Alliant 2400 would be a great place to start. Not match grade but certainly capable of 2-3" at 100 yards if you do your part.