In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

any load data for 175gr 8mm Mauser?

non mortuusnon mortuus Member Posts: 649 ✭✭✭✭
I keep seeing places selling .323 rifle bullets weighing 175 gr. (of local places that sell reloading supplies, the 175gr is the only 8mm they have) Of the three reloading manuels I've looked at (yea I know, I need more More MORE! [;)]) none have any loads for a 175gr. The closests ones are 170 and 200 [?][?]

one book says If I can't find the exact weight to use date for the next heavier. Is this true? should I just use specs for the 200 gr?

other suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    non mortuus,

I'm on the run to the airport but here is a bit of information for you to use.

Every powder manufacturer has a website that contains some form of reloading data. I suggest that you use a search engine and check the powder maker's websites and see what they have to offer. For example, the Hodgdon website has 4 separate loads for the 175 gr. Sierra SP bullet. The reasoning behind this limited choice is that Sierra is about the only manufacturer of bullets for the 8mm cartridges. Remington is still making or used to make the 185 gr. Core-Lokt and sold them in bulk. I think Midway still has some at a very reasonable price for 500 quantity.

I order 8mm Match bullets from overseas in very large bulk. It's expensive but I usually have them when I need them. You should try to call S&B here in the U.S. to ask if they can get some of the 196 gr. bullets for you. These bullets are listed on their website and they list a stock number to use for inquiries.

That's a start. Good Luck!

Best.
  • Options
    flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    non mortuus,

Remington is still making or used to make the 185 gr. Core-Lokt and sold them in bulk. I think Midway still has some at a very reasonable price for 500 quantity.

They do, and they are on sale for $16 per hundred through the end of the month. Cheapest to buy them by the hundred I believe. [url] http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/browse?tabid=1&categoryid=7281&categorystring=652 [/url]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    non mortuus,

It was Cabela's. Not much cheaper but little...

8mm cal., .323" diameter
    185 Gr. PSP $74.99 / 500

Item number: IH-213383
    CALIBER/GAUGE: 8MM 185GR PSP
    This item is in stock.
    1 $74.99

Best.
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The R-185 PSP is fine for shooting 8MM Mauser at paper but remember it was designed to be used in the 8MM Remington Magnum and will likely not expand well for hunting purposes.
    I use the 185 in various 98 Mausers but would likely use something else if I intended to hunt with that round.
    The most accurate bullet for 8MM is the Sierra 200gr HPBTM bullet at least that I have tried. Most of the 196-198 military are fine but, IMO the FNM is better than the S&B at least in my rifles and in friend's as well.
    If I could get S&B for $15.00 per 100 I would jump on them but alas??

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wulfmann,

The 185 gr. Core-Lokt was designed as a Core-Lokt not a bullet specifically for the 8mm Remington Magnum. It was the weight that was desired for that big case not a special jacket. The same design and manufacturing process was used for the 185 grain bullets and the 170 grain bullets which are loaded for factory 8mm Mauser.

I can speak from personal experience, they expand quite well at the velocities I shoot my 8mm Mausers and they kill efficiently because of the bullet design, when placed correctly. The 185 gr. C-L is a great choice for moderate range elk hunting. Following the CIP recommendations for pressure, my figures net me 3300+ ft./lbs. of energy at the muzzle which gets me out to about 300 - 350 yards with sufficient energy remaining.

By strict comparison, I use the original Mauser 196 gr. Match design from my own dies for competition shooting when I use the 8mm Mauser or the 8 x 68S for the longer range targets. Then I use the S&Bs to fill in because they are nearly as good especially out to 1,000 yards. The surplus 8mm is just about gone and the weekend rattle battle warriors shot up the good military Match stuff without knowing any better except that is was cheap... so I make my own.

Remington 185 gr. Core-Lokts at $15.00/100 is a good buy for a good bullet.

Best.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    non mortuus,

I've looked around and frankly I'm saddened to see that the liability factor has played so badly into this round it's almost not worth it to find public loading information. Hodgdon gives max loads at 36,000 CUP This round in a good rifle can go as high as any other round for pressure in it's class.

With my sporterized Yugo and my son's Remington 700 classic I use 52 gr. of IMR4064 for the 175 Sierra Matchking bullet. I use the same load for the Remington 185 gr. PSP bullets. I use 50 gr. now(51 before) for the Speer and Nosler 200 gr. bullets. You should work up to those loads. I backed off one grain for accuracy purposes. I was getting the velocity I wanted but found that backing off one grain took the groups from almost 2 MOA to sub MOA. I went from 2680 to about 2600 even by doing that. Plenty of speed for a 200 gr. bullet from that case. And, I had no pressure signs while doing it.

Nosler's book says you get over 2600 fps with a max load of 46 gr. of IMR4064 I haven't found that to be true unless probably you were shooting a 29" barrel. I don't get that with either a good milsurp or a brand new Remington 700. If you ever get a chance to look at the pressures you will see they have been kept at about 10-15K CUP under what the round was designed for. Get very familiar with pressure signs and work up until you find accuracy is good enough or velocity is where you want it.

Another good powder for this case to work with is H4350. It gives just about the perfect speed for the whole general range of bullets you can find in 8mm.
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NNS, The 185PSP was designed for the 8MM magnum, that much is true, however, (If all Rem did was up the 170 in a typical design they did so for the 8MM mag or so they said) your personal experience indicates it will work well in an 8MM Mauser but I must assume you are using a hotter load to get expansion as your energy suggest.
    That is good news to me as I was assuming based on other opinions.

The best bullet I have used in my K98k SSR sniper after the Sierra match is the 1938 German spitzers.
    I happen to luck out and get 1K rounds or so of them from a former MG-34 shooter and am hording them to pull.
    I had been pulling Yugo bullets (mediocre IMO) but now that ammo seems to be jumping so high in price I want to see where it ends up as IMO, the 185PSP shoots better in all my K98k and other 98 types.
    Maybe it is just my limited experience with S&B but the FNM target bullet has been more accurate.
    I am also hording 2 plus cases of the ammo and still wake up asking myself my I did not buy every case Cole had. But, alas.
    Always nice to be corrected and will pass on your 185 PSP info as a thumbs up for game round
    Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    edited November -1
    non mortuus,

Here is some reloading data from the Sierra manual #4:

http://www.mausershooters.org/k98k/SC_data.html

Scroll down almost to the bottom of the page.

Best.
  • Options
    non mortuusnon mortuus Member Posts: 649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    Every powder manufacturer has a website that contains some form of reloading data. I suggest that you use a search engine and check the powder maker's websites and see what they have to offer. For example, the Hodgdon website has 4 separate loads for the 175 gr. Sierra SP bullet. The reasoning behind this limited choice is that Sierra is about the only manufacturer of bullets for the 8mm cartridges. Remington is still making or used to make the 185 gr. Core-Lokt and sold them in bulk. I think Midway still has some at a very reasonable price for 500 quantity.

I order 8mm Match bullets from overseas in very large bulk. It's expensive but I usually have them when I need them. You should try to call S&B here in the U.S. to ask if they can get some of the 196 gr. bullets for you. These bullets are listed on their website and they list a stock number to use for inquiries.

Thank for the info nononsense. The website suggestion looks like it will do [:)] I'd skimmed some of the powder manufactures sites before, but had never noticed they had loading data [:I]
    Yea sooner or later I'm going to end up buying 1-2 thousand bullets, I was just doing um test load one smaller batches first. The 175 was the only 8mm round I'd actually found locally (and several other places online), but of course I made mistake of passing them up since I didn't have loading data offhand... and now they seem to be out of stock.

quote:[by wulfmann]
    The R-185 PSP is fine for shooting 8MM Mauser at paper but remember it was designed to be used in the 8MM Remington Magnum and will likely not expand well for hunting purposes.
    I use the 185 in various 98 Mausers but would likely use something else if I intended to hunt with that round.

Thank you for pointing that out. Currently I'm only using the reloads for paper, if/when I use them for hunting I'll have to look more closely at the expansion etc aspects.