In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A-MERC BRASS Disaster!

gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
Folks, if you've bought any ammo with a headstamp that says,"A MERC"; you should be aware that this brass is brittle, overworked, and will split or rupture when fired.
I got about 500 rounds in .30 carbine, 40 S&W, and 30-30 from Sportsman's Warehouse this summer, and every time I go shooting with this stuff; the cases split (in many chambers; not just 1 gun), some of the cases have ruptured (case head sticks to face of bolt, rest of case in chamber), and NONE have had zero problems.
I sent the remaining cases back to the MFR. for an examination and refund since they are the ones pushing this crap on the public.
The .30 carbine was fired in a I-J M1, a Ruger Blackhawk, an AMTIII, a Win. M1 Carbine, and a Plainfield carbine-every case was split or ruptured.
The 40S&W was fired in a Sig 2340, a S&W 4016(?), a Glock, a Ruger PC4, and a Beretta Brigadier-every case split or ruptured.
The 30-30 was fired in a win.'94, a Marlin, and a T/C Contender-all the cases split or ruptured.
I got this stuff because it was cheap, and I could reload it, but now all I want to do is warn everyone about this crappy, dangerous ammo.

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunnut505
    ......., and I could reload it, ........

On every reloading board I've seen, it's recigmended the A-Merc brass be tossed in the trash BEFORE the steel cases and Berdan primed stuff is.
    It is only good for recycling, not reloading.
  • Options
    greyghosttgreyghostt Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    save your self scrap it now while it's still loaded!!
  • Options
    ladamsladams Member Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I feel into this trap one time as well. Bought a case in .357 because it was 8 bucks a box and I figured I could reload it 5 or so times. About 10% of the brass split on the initial firing, had some blown out primers and a few squib rounds that barely cleared the barrel. I tossed all the brass in the recycle bin, I don't even want to try and reload it. I have no clue how this company remains in business.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hmmm. Didn't know we sold that brass.

Only thing we have now is Weatherby, Norma, Lapua, Winchester, and Remington.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought some 44spl A-MERC, ran a box thru my 44mag...no problems..just reloaded the same 50 with 7.0gr. Unique and 240gr. LSWC no problems..I'll give ya a range report when I shot them.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought 1000 rounds of 38spec and about 1 of 5-6 FTF so I called them and sent it back. The company replaced it with a better batch and covered the cost of shipping both ways. The second batch won't fire 100% in my Ruger Blackhawk with a lighter hammer spring but does go bang in a couple of double actions. I haven't had any squibs or splits and some is on the 3 loading.
  • Options
    dw2002dw2002 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought 500 rounds of AMERC 30 carbine a couple of years ago. I only had a couple of duds and maybe a few split cases out of the whole batch. Shot mostly out of an automag III and a universal m1. Accuracy was not that impressive. After I deprimed the brass I had to toss about half of it right away because the flash holes were horribly off center. I got 3 or 4 reloads out of the rest of it before retiring it to the recycling bucket due to either enlarged primer holes or excessive stretching near the base. Needless to say I won't be purchasing any more AMERC ammo.
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag
    Bought some 44spl A-MERC, ran a box thru my 44mag...no problems..just reloaded the same 50 with 7.0gr. Unique and 240gr. LSWC no problems..I'll give ya a range report when I shot them.
    Shot all 50 today, no issues at all.
  • Options
    camljr59camljr59 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    THIS STUFF IS DANGEROUS!!!!

I was at the range today with this bababooey, and had one of the cases split down the side. It blasted hot burning gasses out of the bolt area back in my face. I manuallycycled the bolt, and the next round would not chamber. Bolt would not close on the next round.

I immediately stopped, pulled the magazine, and checked the chamber and barrel... I found out why the rounds would not chamber...

The bullet from the split case had exited that case and wedged in the chamber. Luckily it did not wege even 1 inch further into the barrel, or when the next round chambered, and I fired it, It would have blown up in my face from the stuck round in the barrel.

It is not worth your face, eyes, and limbs to risk a catastrophic failure due to cheap ammo...

I have learned a valuable lesson with this one. I was very lucky, and I hope others can learn from this...

DON'T BUY THIS AMMO..... OR ANY CHEAP AMMO OF QUESTIONABLE MANUFACTURE......

It is not worth it...........