In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

223 primer sealing

shootin xdshootin xd Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
Just started reloading this morning,was reading a thread about sealing primers.How and what are you guys using to seal primers,and why?

Comments

• Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never used a primer sealant in my 45+ years of reloading but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be necesssary under certain conditions. If you live around high moisture or high humidity, you probably need to protect your ammo. Also if your area has large temperature swings that can cause condensate. There are two liquid sealers on the market. Most stores that sell reloading compnents sell these also. They are liquid sealers that you paint around the edge of the primer to seal the primer and powder from getting moisture into them. I always store my ammo in 30 caliber or 50 caliber surplus ammo cans that have a rubber sealed lid that locks closed pretty tight. In the long run it is cheaper and I have never had a problem with ammo stored in one of them. My experience anyway.
  • Options
    jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nail polish works great too![;)]
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    If you store in any kind of reasonable condition and shoot in less the 20 years you dont need sealer Just my $.02
  • Options
    awindsawinds Member Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't used a sealer in over 40 years of handloading.
    Just finished shooting up some loads from 1967. They worked fine.
    Bought a bottle of sealer last year, 'cause it was on sale.
    Still haven't used any. But, I am ready.
    You can never have too much reloading stuff. [;)]
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it's a marketing gimmick,..you don't need to seal primers