In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Do you clean new dies before the first use?

flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
OK, so after reading, gathering supplies, asking some questions here, and reading more I'm ready to start reloading. I've got some Lee Pacesetter dies and was just wondering if I need to clean them before I use them. I'm assuming I do. What is the best/easiest way to do it? As always, thanks for the advice. [:D]

Comments

• Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Clean them just like you would your firearm. Take them apart and clean each piece with bore cleaner or some other solvent that will desolve grease and very lightly oil them. I do this also after every 5 or 6 hundred rounds or once a year, which ever comes first. They will last a lifetime if you take care of them. Matter of fact I have two sets of dies and a reloading press that my uncle bought and used until his death and I then got them to use. That 60 years now and they still look almost new. My experience anyway.
  • Options
    scrubberguyscrubberguy Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    flyingtorpedo:
    Started useing brake parts cleaner for a lot of that stuff. You can't believe what this stuff will take off!

Use it outside away from Paint, your glasses, cars,or anything else you don't want cleaned to baer metal also wear gloves of some type.

It evaporates very fast so I'd say you be ready to load in 20 minutes just to be safe.[8D]
  • Options
    jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by scrubberguy
    flyingtorpedo:
    Started useing brake parts cleaner for a lot of that stuff. You can't believe what this stuff will take off!

Use it outside away from Paint, your glasses, cars,or anything else you don't want cleaned to baer metal also wear gloves of some type.

It evaporates very fast so I'd say you be ready to load in 20 minutes just to be safe.[8D]

Sounds like a bad experience![:p]

Brake cleaner works great for degreasing dies, especially if you have reloaded alot of ammo and/or there is heavy lube build up. I also use a soft bristled brush to scrub mine out.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NON CHLORINATED break cleaner is much easier on things it may get on. I use that for chambers, barrels, breach plugs, dies, etc.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Absolutely. There is an oil that needs to be cleaned out. After cleaning I will lightly oil the outside body and threads and inside threads. But not the part that will be sizing. That only sees case lube. The best stuff I have found is brake cleaner...just make sure it is not the water based one.
  • Options
    flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. [^] I picked up some brake cleaner while I was in town earlier today. Now I just got to wait for the wind to die down so the cleaner goes where I want it instead of into the neighbors yard. [:D]