In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

getting back into shooting

darkvesperiadarkvesperia Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
I'm 18 now and when i was say maybe 14 or so I was into shooting but with my parent's divorced then a few years after my father's death i have kinda gotten out of hobby. Now I don't have any reloading equipment and i intend to just target shoot. starting with a .22 to get in the feel of things again I need some opinions of what would be a good but affordable round for target shooting.

Comments

• jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I suggest starting back out with a good ol' .22rimfire! It is the cheapest and the easiest way to get comfortable and learn good posture and shooting skills. I always spend a lot of time with my rimfires just for that reason. Then move up to some small caliber centerfires, .222Rem and .223Rem where always my favorite. Low recoil, ammo still fairly cheap, and most of the rifles are darn accurate straight out of the box. I won't suggest an certain rifles because there are so many out there. They when you feel comfortable, move to the larger calibers. Moving to the larger calibers before you are ready and or developed some basic skills such as posture, breathing control, trigger control, and patience will just have you frustrate and less efficent when you get to the larger calibers.

Hey, welcome to the forum and back to all the fun![:D]

Good Luck and Good Shooting![;)]
  • darkvesperiadarkvesperia Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not talking about rifles...I have all the rifles i need (inherited) I'm looking at store bought ammo specificly. I'm just looking for something affordable with good performance. I'm sure I have a few rounds in the gun same but not knowing how long they've sat there i don't wanna put my luck into knowing if they are even gonna fire accurately,or at all as some of them probably are custom loads
  • jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry, I misunderstood what you were asking exactly![:p]

As far as the age of factory ammo sitting around and still being accurate, age shouldn't effect it at all, atleast I have never heard of it.

Now when you say custom loads are you meaning handloads or factory custom loads? If they are handloads and you don't know anything about them I would disassemble them. If you know something about them or used to shoot them in the past, I would keep them around. Cause if they shot accurately in the past, 9 times out of 10 they still do you. I am still shooting some of my father's .222Rem handloads and I know for a fact that they have been around for better than 30yrs.

As far as buying factory ammo, it is hard to say what is a good affordable round not knowing the calibers you shoot. Generally all of your name brand(Remington, Federal, Winchester) manufacturers make accurate ammo and then you still have BlackHills, Hornady, Laupa, etc. but they are usually more expensive but by most means worth it.

Tell us what calibers you are using and we can be a lot more specific on cost effective, accurate ammo.
    edited November -1
    nice to know age doesn't have an effect ..but i meant handloads...mainly for the 7mm thats in there so i was going to ditch those anyways...but as you said I'm starting out with a .22 but after i get used to shooting I'll probably head for the 6mm i used to use
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger Single Six
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have shot many handloads that were way over 4-5 years old with no problems at all.If they are marked so ypu know what the loads are you should have no problems.
    edited November -1
    I doubt they marked the hand loads besides they arn't for the rifle I intend to shoot. What I'm looking for are probably factory loads for .22 and 6mm that are great for target shooting
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    every rifle is different. The rifle will tell you which factory ammo it likes,..that is the ammo you need to buy for target shooting.

We really need an idea of just what chamberings you have so we can make recommendations accordingly.
  • huntergarrethuntergarret Member Posts: 702 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy the cheapest box of Federals and see how they shoot.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    every rifle is different. The rifle will tell you which factory ammo it likes,..that is the ammo you need to buy for target shooting.

We really need an idea of just what chamberings you have so we can make recommendations accordingly.

I don't believe I have any of the rifles documentation. I'm sure if I find out the company I could find replacements...and what do you mean exactly by chamberings.