In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

162 or 139

HTGHTG Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
What is the better choice for the 7mm? I've looked at the balistics and the 139 has the edge but still not sure about the other differences.

Comments

• Options
    jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It depends on what you are going to use it for. With the 139 you are going to get higher velocities with it but the 162 will have a higher ballistic coefficent which "will" make a difference down range. In my opinion the 7mm bullets have about the best coefficents for some long range work.

Again, bullet choice is dependant on your use, but if mid to long range accuracy is a must, go with the heavier bullets! Coefficents can make or break accuracy!

Check out this link and look at the coefficents for the 7mm bullets!
    http://www.bergerbullets.com/
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only bullet I shoot in my 7mm RMag is the 162 Hornady BT. It works great on everything from Elk on down to picket pens. When I loaded for a friend's 280 Rem that same bullet took Idaho's big five for five shots.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    The only bullet I shoot in my 7mm RMag is the 162 Hornady BT. It works great on everything from Elk on down to picket pens. When I loaded for a friend's 280 Rem that same bullet took Idaho's big five for five shots.

Charlie shoots a great bullet here! I also shoot Hornady's 162gr BT in my 7mm RemMag. and it is the berries. I still shoot some of Nosler's 162gr solid base bullets and maintain .5" groups @ 100yds, too bad they discountinued them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am planning on using them for big game elk and deer mainly. What weeknesses would the 139 grain have compared to the 162 grain at 400 or 500 yards? I have been shooting 162 grain Hornady and have knocked everything down with one shot out to 500 yards so I really like the 162 Hornady, but I was thinking about trying the 139 with this new round of reloads because the 139 have less bullet drop at long yardage. I've done just as well using a 25-05 117bt for big game out to 300 just doesn't have the long range capabilities. I'm probably going to stick with the 162 but still not sure. Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HTG
    I am planning on using them for big game elk and deer mainly. What weeknesses would the 139 grain have compared to the 162 grain at 400 or 500 yards? I have been shooting 162 grain Hornady and have knocked everything down with one shot out to 500 yards so I really like the 162 Hornady, but I was thinking about trying the 139 with this new round of reloads because the 139 have less bullet drop at long yardage. I've done just as well using a 25-05 117bt for big game out to 300 just doesn't have the long range capabilities. I'm probably going to stick with the 162 but still not sure. Thanks

I would stick with the 162! Yes you will have less drop out there with the 139 but you will also sacrifice energy! Energy is what you need to insure the long range kills, well along with shot placement. In my opinion, I would rather hold over a little more and have more kenetic enegry in the bullet than to worry about the bullet dropping less.

edit: Here, I will use the Hornady SST for example! At 500yds the 139 SST has a velocity of 2300fps, 1633 lbft, and -32.6" drop with 200yd zero. The 162 SST has a velocity of 2145fps, 1654 lbft, and -38.2" drop with 200yd zero. Yes you have almost 6" extra of drop with the 162, but you can hold over 6" easily, you can't add the extra 21 lbft of umph to the bullet though. And sometimes that extra 21 lbft can make the difference. That, and the 162 will buck the wind a bit better out at that range than the 139 leading to a better placement.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Great info. Thanks!
  • Options
    blackhawk45blackhawk45 Member Posts: 481 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ELK? ,7MM Mag , no less than 175gr bullet
  • Options
    wallypedalwallypedal Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    blackhawk45
    " ELK? ,7MM Mag , no less than 175gr bullet"

man, I wish someone would have told me before I shot 37 elk in my lifetime with the 139's. Dang! Now I'll have to start over.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wallypedal
    blackhawk45
    " ELK? ,7MM Mag , no less than 175gr bullet"

man, I wish someone would have told me before I shot 37 elk in my lifetime with the 139's. Dang! Now I'll have to start over.[:D]

[:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Well in that case would someone like to buy a lot of Hornady 7mm 139 grain interlocks seeing they won't work for Elk 'O)
    Do ya think they will be OK for little deer if I can't sell the worthless little buggers ?
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HTG,

BOTH! They both have great ballistics and you can push either out fast enough to do the job you intend. 139's give a flatter trajectory in the short game. The 162's give better trajectory over the long run...and a little bit more predictability in wind. Not that much...but more. get 'em both, load 'em both, shoot both of 'em. -good luck.