In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bullet Casting/Lead Contamination Precautions

rljonesrljones Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
I have been casting lead bullets for many years and would like to hear what others are doing to make the process as safe as possible. I always use disposable gloves and have recently been using an electric fume collector that is set close to the small bottom draw lead melting pot that I use. I generally do my casting outside on the backporch but this winter with the addition of the fume collector, I want to do some indoor casting in my basement. I also use safety glasses and a paper mask. Is this overkill and am I being overly cautious? Any thoughts/suggestions?

Comments

• raingaugeraingauge Member Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, in my opinion, you are on the right track. The fume collector seems to do the trick, I have noticed a lot of casters going to them. I suppose when you get my age we start to think about these things.
    Have fun, I think you'll be OK.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We grew up with lead paint, lead split shot sinkers and lead soldiers. Lead is a naturally occurring element and could cause harm if mishandled, so can a large stone hitting you in the head. The morons at the EPA have people thinking that putting a sinker in your mouth is as bad as eating a cyanide capsule [V]. Taking the reasonable steps to avoid contamination you have taken seems great. They are way overkill in my book; but safety is never a joke with molten metals. [B)][:0]

I have casted TONS of bullets. My lead levels have been often checked and are normal. I never used any safety precautions at all for 20 years. I just casted bullets, smoked ciggs, drank beer and ate dinner at the casting table. [:D][:I]

Be safe happy shooting!
  • jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RL, you can never be too safe! Any extra precautions are a plus. Lead has different effects on different people, but as bpost said the EPA goes a little overboard sometimes.
  • scrubberguyscrubberguy Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rljones:
    Been casting my own since 69. I think the mask is a little over kill but if your comfortable with it keep going. I wear glasses and the darn things just cause fogging. All your other precautions are sound. Heres a bit of info I got from a metalurigist years ago: lead does not produce toxic air bourne fumes until you approach the 900 degree range! Stay at a normal casting temp. of 650 to 750 or so and fumes aren't a problem. I still ventilate to remove fluxing fumes if I'm inside.

Another tip I picked up recently from Lee's Precission reloading manual.
    You risk more exposure to air bourne lead at your brass tumbler than you do at your casting station!

This because your tumbler / vibrating brass cleaner is actually agitating the whole mess and creating dust while it works! Left over lead residue from primers, bullets and what have you are bound to be air bourne!

This is where I wear a mask![8D]
  • cbrickcbrick Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here are some articles on lead and its dangers. As was said, the eco whackos and the EPA tend to get carried away with themselves. It is wise to remember though, lead is far more toxic to young children than it is to adults.

http://www.lasc.us/LeadSafety.htm
    http://www.lasc.us/FryxellSafeHandlingLead.htm

Rick
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Wash your hands before eating or smoking. Make sure you have ventilation- I have a big exhaust fan above my casting station pulling it all out a window. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about it.