In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Full Length Resizing Die

Does anyone have or know a link to a "cut away" animation of what and how a resizing die works? I just started reloading 338 win mag and am wondering why Redding would offer both a full length resizing die as well as a neck only resizing die.

Thanks,
Sean

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    They have both because after a few firings and neck sizing you should bump the shoulder back with the full length die. You can tell when to do it when the bolt starts getting hard to close on your reloads.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Copengr33n,

The full length die is so the round fits easily into the chamber. The neck sizing die is so you can keep the dimensions of the old case very close to the dimensions of the chamber. By doing this it will help with accuracy.
    As the names imply, they do exactly what they say. The full length comes down and resizes the neck and body of the case. The neck only does the neck with close, but still loose, tolerances around the body of the case.
  • Options
    ww2buff9067ww2buff9067 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Also, full length sizing is recommended for semi-auto rifles. I full length size all of my cases (primarily shoot M1 Garand and M1 Carbine), even my bolt action rifles. Seem to work better all around. Brass life is shortened as well full-length sizing, just keep an eye out for signs of case fatigue.