In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

powder measure

Whats the best way to go?
Electronic or mechcanical?

Comments

• Options
    victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    Hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Charge Powder Scale and Dispenser 110 Volt. Has anyone had experience with this piece of equipment? I've always liked Hornady products and I'm looking to upgrade my loading operation.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have an old powder measure scale (Webster) that is oil dampened. I need to replace the oil and cannot find any information on what type of oil to use. Can anyone give me a suggestion?????

Thanks
    Terry
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It would seem that powder measure that I was given is not all that accurate. Its a Herter's, that gives you some sense of age to the thing. Its in good shape though. I am using 700x, which is a flake powder.

How much does the accuracy of measurer depend on the powder? As far as mechanical, the powder measure that I have is fine. Should I look at getting another one?
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Mechanical, two of them.

I tried TWO Lyman DPS - not accurate.

Tried a RCBS Chargemaster 1500 combo - also not accurate.

I figure, if I am paying $225 to $350....the item had better be dead on. Cheap scales in a nice package.

Same speed as a mechanical thrower.

Honestly, if I am charging more than 50 shells, I setup my other scale. While one is balancing out, I am dumping powder out of the pan into the shell, fill that pan, place on scale, trickle the last touch into the other pan....and start again. Easily doubled my ACCURATE output.
  • Options
    RustyNailRustyNail Member Posts: 803 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcloco
    Mechanical, two of them.

I figure, if I am paying $225 to $350....the item had better be dead on. Cheap scales in a nice package.

Honestly, if I am charging more than 50 shells, I setup my other scale. While one is balancing out, I am dumping powder out of the pan into the shell, fill that pan, place on scale, trickle the last touch into the other pan....and start again. Easily doubled my ACCURATE output.

dcloco Tell me a little more about the RCBS 1500 combo. (I just got one) My only complaint so far is that it is so slow--how can you validate the accuracy?? If mine is not accurate I would like to return it while I still can[xx(]
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would have to chalk that up to bad luck,..I have heard great things about the new RCBS units.

My PACT has been one of the best things I have done for the load bench. I would venture to say it has cut my loading time in 1/2 or maybe even 1/3.

If you buy an electric unit, just remember to recalibrate the scale every time before you start. It just made sense to me to do this and I have done it from the start. I can get 48ish out of 50 rnds within .1 gr and most right on the wanted charge weight. I set mine maybe .1gr light now days, and trickle the last .1gr out of the dispensor (it has a trickle button)
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    I have the Pacts...one portable, one not. I would not load again without them...unless driven to do so.

Accuracy ? I have weights...and once calibrated I check them often. NEVER had the slightest problem..when I follow the instructions for calibrating.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I have a Pact That I have had for years never had any trouble I have a set of check weights and even bought a cheap set of scales from FLEABAY must be a big market for drug dealers for them along with a older lyman balance beam scale I load mostly match grade pistol ammo where .1 grain is a larger % of diffance then say a 40 grain rifle charge . I may be wrong but the last time I went to watch a bench rest match The shooters DIDNOT weigh the powder charges. . Keep the scale in an enclosed case or box when not in use and dont run a Fan near your reloading bench when useing ANY scale.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I realize this thread is about powder measures so i will apologize in advance for deviating a little bit.
    I think anything made by PACT is a peice of crap. I have a scale that was junk from the beginning. This is the second scale I got after returning the 1st one because the battery wire was not even hooked up.The second one eats batteries like candy and is only accurate ( I think) for about 5-7 loads then flutters and jumps, needs re-calibrated. I still check with a beam scale.
    Chronographs? Forget it. Same bullet ,same rifle, same day, same time, 2 chronos. Ohler within 18fps SD. PACT 126fps. No sorry, cant recommend any of their products, thats why I jumped in.
    You are right about the bench rest shooters. weighed charges are dependent on humidity for consistant weight, Thrown charges are more accurate with a powder that meters well.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Amazing. I bought my first Pact Chrono 15 years ago. Still use it...never had the first problem with it.

My two Pact Scales I bought 10 or so years ago..still using them. No problem.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RustyNail
    Mechanical, two of them.

dcloco Tell me a little more about the RCBS 1500 combo. (I just got one) My only complaint so far is that it is so slow--how can you validate the accuracy?? If mine is not accurate I would like to return it while I still can[xx(]

I went as far as wiring a SINGLE, dedicated circuit, with less than 4 feet of 12/2 wire for an outlet to power the units. I also use a heavy gauge extension cord to add resistance to remove any ripple effect in the electricity during another test.

NO shop lights involved. Steady bench - tried on my reload bench and the kitchen table.

To check accuracy - I used four beam scales - two were borrowed. I also used the check weights supplied with one of the scales.

A quick check for accuracy - use a 170'ish grain bullet (or whatever you have handy)...weigh it 10 times today....ten times tonight...ten times in the morning.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just to clear something up...powder measures are used to charge the round with powder. Scales are used to weigh the powder with.

Smitty
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag
    [Just to clear something up...powder measures are used to charge the round with powder.]

Smitty

Not if your dumping the charge in a scale pan instead of a cartridge case [:0].
    Just to clear that up [^].
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i use a pact shot timer, and a pact chronograph, both have been reliable
  • Options
    blackmesariflecoblackmesarifleco Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RustyNail
    Mechanical, two of them.

I went as far as wiring a SINGLE, dedicated circuit, with less than 4 feet of 12/2 wire for an outlet to power the units. I also use a heavy gauge extension cord to add resistance to remove any ripple effect in the electricity during another test.

NO shop lights involved. Steady bench - tried on my reload bench and the kitchen table.

To check accuracy - I used four beam scales - two were borrowed. I also used the check weights supplied with one of the scales.

A quick check for accuracy - use a 170'ish grain bullet (or whatever you have handy)...weigh it 10 times today....ten times tonight...ten times in the morning.

Interesting comments here - first of all your electrical analysis is way off. By dedicating a circuit assuming on a twenty amp breaker and putting 12/2 at only four feet is ridiculous in itself as 12/2 is safely rated at 25 amps of service is way overkill as both a electronic powder measurer and scale on the same outlet pull less than 1/4 of an amp. Second why use a drop cord at all if you created a dedicated circuit - put it where you need it and by using a heavy gauge cord you reduce the resistance to your load but you have no load and drop cords won't reduce ripple no matter what you try. To correct ripple or wavelength (hertz) problems you will need to address the power coming in from your power company. Another thing surges are more to what you are talking about as alot of smaller items like powder scales run on dc current and has a converter which uses rectifiers built into the cord to keep the current even and steady as dc current is more controllable. Most electrical/electronics are on dc because of this.

I have pact measurer and scale and have no problems and about the tens times today and tomorrow I don't usually try to quit in the middle of reloading overnight and if I did I wouldn't leave the scale on and I would recalibrate it again anyway.

everybody has an opinion 50/50 on what you like or dislike.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by blackmesarifleco
    Interesting comments here - first of all your electrical analysis is way off. By dedicating a circuit assuming on a twenty amp breaker and putting 12/2 at only four feet is ridiculous in itself as 12/2 is safely rated at 25 amps of service is way overkill as both a electronic powder measurer and scale on the same outlet pull less than 1/4 of an amp. Second why use a drop cord at all if you created a dedicated circuit - put it where you need it and by using a heavy gauge cord you reduce the resistance to your load but you have no load and drop cords won't reduce ripple no matter what you try. To correct ripple or wavelength (hertz) problems you will need to address the power coming in from your power company. Another thing surges are more to what you are talking about as alot of smaller items like powder scales run on dc current and has a converter which uses rectifiers built into the cord to keep the current even and steady as dc current is more controllable. Most electrical/electronics are on dc because of this.

I have pact measurer and scale and have no problems and about the tens times today and tomorrow I don't usually try to quit in the middle of reloading overnight and if I did I wouldn't leave the scale on and I would recalibrate it again anyway.

Umm...not trying to flatten hertz...you are a little mixed up as well.

Drop cord helps to flatten out voltage fluctuation.

14/2, 15 amp breaker.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I reckon I just ain't sophisticated enough to stop using the Pacts I have.

I have a set of weights that I calibrate with...( comes with the scales)...and I use them...often. VERY rarely do I have to recalibrate..and The few times I got an anomily I back-tracked..and rarely had to dump a case..We are talking about perhaps 10-12 thousand rounds, since I got the scales...

I find them to be far faster to use...enough so that I no longer dread buying a thousand bullets and segregating them by weight...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well, I went and measured a 162gr a-max 5 times on my PACT over the last 3 days (1 day +/- apart).

day 1. 161.9 161.9 161.9 161.9 161.9
    day 2. 162.0 161.9 161.9 161.9 161.9
    day 3. 161.9 161.9 161.9 161.9 161.9

I leave my scale ON all the time plugged into a surge protector as well as the dispensor unit. I didn't reclalibrate the scale either time, and those are the results I got. I bet if I left the bullet on the pan for a minute, that 162.0gr reading would have setlled at 161.9gr
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    well, I went and measured a 162gr a-max 5 times on my PACT over the last 3 days (1 day +/- apart).

day 1. 161.9 161.9 161.9 161.9 161.9
    day 2. 162.0 161.9 161.9 161.9 161.9
    day 3. 161.9 161.9 161.9 161.9 161.9

I leave my scale ON all the time plugged into a surge protector as well as the dispensor unit. I didn't reclalibrate the scale either time, and those are the results I got. I bet if I left the bullet on the pan for a minute, that 162.0gr reading would have setlled at 161.9gr

are you sure you just didn't leave that plastic thing it came with on the display {lol}
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The plastic powdr pan weighs 119.1gr on this unit[:D][;)]
  • Options
    blackmesariflecoblackmesarifleco Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1

14/2, 15 amp breaker.
    I not quite sure what you mean by flattening out hertz but if you know how to graph it to "flatten it" persay would slow the ac current down and everything in you house or shop would act real screwy. I would like to see a certified electrician sign off on a drop cord helping with voltage fluctuation. And no I am not mixed up as my job requires me to know this stuff. I work in an automated factory that uses PLC controllers that control the hertz wavelength to controll the speed of the three phase 480volt motors all over the place. Try a surge protector like mentioned in a previous comment.
  • Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    --I've been using my PACT for about 3 yr's and it has performed flawlessly, BUT I do all my powder measuring and case filling in my house in the computer room so temperature never varies more than 10 degrees (F)--this is important for CONSISTENT powder scale STRAIN gage deflections-no matter how expensive the unit is. Of course accuracy is the most important, BUT it has to repeat value consistantly or it's of NO USE---[:o)][:o)]--JIMBO
  • Options
    edited November -1

14/2, 15 amp breaker.
    I not quite sure what you mean by flattening out hertz but if you know how to graph it to "flatten it" persay would slow the ac current down and everything in you house or shop would act real screwy. I would like to see a certified electrician sign off on a drop cord helping with voltage fluctuation. And no I am not mixed up as my job requires me to know this stuff. I work in an automated factory that uses PLC controllers that control the hertz wavelength to controll the speed of the three phase 480volt motors all over the place. Try a surge protector like mentioned in a previous comment.

Drop cord acts as a resistor in the circuit. If the line voltage has high or low spikes, it will help flatten the voltage.

I work with AC, DC, & up to 2800 volts...daily...with PLC's, fiber optics, micro controllers, etc, etc....I KNOW what I am talking about as well.

Ever seen a train....50/50 chance one of mine is in the consist.
  • Options
    scrumpyjackscrumpyjack Member Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate for this to be my first, but...

A heavy gauge extension cord, let's say 8ga stranded, will actually have less than half of the resistance of your 12ga romex solid wire. Given a standard 25' ext. cord, an average current draw of .25 amps, your voltage drop would be ~4mV. Gaining just about nothing.

Now if you really want to smooth AC ripple, you will need to filter your DC output. This is already done in the transformer pack/power supply/converter supplied with your electronic device. A capacitor is placed at your DC output. Too further smooth your DC output a capacitor-input choke can be used to remove additional ripple by presenting a high impedance to the ripple current. Once again, these features are inherent in design of the power supply for your unit. Hence, your extension cord theory only benefits in you in being able to move scale further away from your source receptacle. Ohm's Law doesn't change for AC through a resistor. And at 60Hz, skin effect is negligible.

Anyway....I'm not concerned with speeding my loading time. I still use an older RCBS beam scale. And while its old, it is very accurate. However, when my father passed away last spring, I found a Pact setup covered up on the reloading bench, NIB. The man who taught me and swore by beam scales had finally sold-out to electronic only to die before he could use it. Once I move everything down here I'll have to try it out. I'm sure it will speed things up and I'll be curious to see how consistant the accuracy is compared to my old 505
  • Options
    RustyNailRustyNail Member Posts: 803 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ScrumpyJack

Welcome to the Forums![:D]
  • Options
    scrumpyjackscrumpyjack Member Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, Rusty. I've been lurking here gathering some very good info for a long time....finally felt compelled to post.
  • Options
    knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a Lyman dps 1200 which was very accurate. I sold it recently and am leaning towards the new lyman digital scale with the manual trickler.
    I don`t reload enough at one setting to go through all of the messing around that the dps required. I think the new Lyman will be just what I need.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    I hope the RCBS 1500 is a good one.
    I have one coming friday.
    Thought I could get along with a
    dipper and a RCBs 505 but I opted for
    the 150. I have a hand thrower but
    gonna try this electronic gadget.
    Pricey , hope it's worth it.
    rong
  • Options
    220ackley220ackley Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    RCBS Uniflow and a RCBS 1010 scale. they still work when the power goes out
  • Options
    darton2darton2 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just recieved my 1500 chargemaster scale from Natchesz? supply. Dissappointed to say the least. Its seems cheap and the dang thang will not even power up. Turned it over and it said proudly made in China. Go figure.
    I dropped about $150 to get it to my house and the thing will not even turn on. Now I have to mail it back in and see how their customer service is....
    Surely they could at least check functionality of these high priced units back in the states if they are going to have chinese kids put them together.[:(!]
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I have the Lyman DPS II. Very accurate and fast. Very happy with it. Have had no problem in the year using it [8D][8D]
  • Options
    raingaugeraingauge Member Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still like the Belding and Mull. Slaow, at best, but a very accurate measure