In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Flat base bullets verse Boattails

whats yalls opinion on useing flat base bullets for long range shooting verses boattails..

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Look at how all the VLC bullets are made. They are made to cut through the air better.
  • Options
    scrubberguyscrubberguy Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    txhunter:
    Thier was a good article on this very subject not long ago in Handloader magazine. Sadly I don't remember the issue and couldn't find it when I look for it.

It was a pretty major piece and , if memory serves correctly, the boattails had a better than slight edge in both drop and wind drift over the flat base bullets.

A quick visit to thier web site might get a copy headed your way?
    www.riflemagazine.com [8D]
  • Options
    SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ballistic coeeficient is better with the boatails, meaning they "cut" thru the air better that the flatbase. Inside of 100yds. for hunting, I use a flat base (Rem Coreloks) and past 100, I use Sierra gamekings. I guess I'm just funny like that.[:o)]
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FYI A boatail bullet is a "flatbase" until it goes subsonic. The base of a bullet operates in a vacuum untill the velocity falls below the speed of sound.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,975 ******
    edited November -1
    "A boatail bullet is a "flatbase" until it goes subsonic."... true but a boattail of the same weight will have a higher b/c= flater trajectory & less wind drift.... and as to your picture; I like the ones with the 'bumps' better[:D]
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    txhunter469,

Not much flat looking in that picture... Seriously, Flat base bullets have better efficiency in the barrel. The gases want to push directly and straight forward on the flat base. The gases want to push at 90 deg to the base of the bullet. Well as you can see that isn't very efficient for the boat-tail while in the barrel. So, the flat base leaves the barrel with as much as a 15% advantage. This is one of the reasons why boat-tails burn out barrels faster than flat base bullets. Of strong note here this is why you see all the short range bench rest shooters shooting flat base bullets. High BC doesn't really even start coming into play until around 300 yds.

Now, after leaving the barrel the aerodynamics of the boat-tail reverse the above trend. This is extremely evident after the bullets go subsonic. But it still happens while each are super-sonic. The flow around the boat-tail doesn't let the vacuum at the back of the bullet drag it even more. Like the flat base. The vacuum created at the back creates a lot of drag. So where is the change-up point? Well it varies with different bullets of different weights and styles but 300 yds in a high velocity bullet is an approximate range for a lot of bullets with these issues.

So, out to 300 yds. I would go with flat base. After 300 yds I would go to the boat-tail.

However, what I'm shooting right now(not exclusively, that's for sure)are rebated boat tail bullets. Where the boat tail meets the body of the bullet the diameter is decreased from the full bullet diameter. You lose a little bit of BC by doing that but you gain back the efficiency almost entirely of the flat base bullet whilst in the gun. Combine that with super long ogives and you have very efficient bullets both in the rifle and beyond.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Flat based bullets outshoot boattails in all of my 6BR 12 twist tests. The boattail actually helps greatly when the bullet is subsonic. The nose drag a lot more than base drag above supersonic.
  • Options
    SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good info Sandwarrior.[8D]
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the part about nothing looking very flat in that picture???[:D][8D][:D][}:)]

Actually it was nononsense who pointed me in the direction of a Canadian, Richard Graves, who is making his Wildcat(copyright) bullets with the rebated boat tail. I've shot up two boxes so far and need more. but I am extremely impressed with them.

The rest I just came to the conclusion finally that at 300 yds., at my home range here, it may come to a 1/4 or 1/2MOA adjustment and that's it for about all styles. I've never had more than one MOA adjustment for equal velocity bullets in the same caliber. And, I've shot a lot of round nose .311 and .323 bullets at 300 yds.
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    Txhunter - I don't have anything to add to the discussion other than to ask if you are related to Nunn?

If not, why have the picture he posted as your sig pic? Not that it isn't a good pic.[;)]
  • Options
    jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't forget about the High BC Flat Bases![:D][:D][:D]

My cousin shoots Berger's High BC Flat Bases in his 6mms and gets them to out shoot every other bullet(boattail and flat base)out to 600yds.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    USN 1991-2001 / USS San Juan SSN-751
    Hmmm, someone else I've shoved around. (688 boat, eh)
  • Options
    boltactionboltaction Member Posts: 505 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a 22-250 mod 70 win and the only bullet it would shoot was a flat base hornady. It was dead accrate out to 350 yard's. I tried all kind of boatails with no luck.So I think some gun's like flat base better than boatails.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by XXCross

USN 1991-2001 / USS San Juan SSN-751
    Hmmm, someone else I've shoved around. (688 boat, eh)

Is there any other type?[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes Handgunhunter, there are....BOOMERS! (shoved all of them around too)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes Handgunhunter, there are....BOOMERS! (shoved all of them around too)

Boomers aren't real boats, just like boomer sailors aren't real submariners.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "Boomers aren't real boats, just like boomer sailors aren't real submariners."
    Now there's stupid if I ever saw it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "Boomers aren't real boats, just like boomer sailors aren't real submariners."
    Now there's stupid if I ever saw it.

Of course you seen it, you have mirrors in your house don't you?
  • Options
    fire for effectfire for effect Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The boattail only comes into play when the bullet is slowing down and again passing through the Sound barrier. the boat tail eases the transition through the sound barrier, with much less buffeting.
  • Options
    ladamsladams Member Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know if a casual shooter or hunter would really ever be able to tell the distance at normal ranges.