In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Old Large Rifle Primers

MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
A fellow sold me some reloading stuff, and included 3 old CCI, and two old Herter's primer boxes. These Herter's are old enough not to have zip codes on the boxes.

Now I know they may have collector value, but will old primers work?

Thanks!

Comments

• ladamsladams Member Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bet they would work, the question is are they corrosive and mecuric.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I don't think CCI was in business early enough to have made corrosive primers. ARE THEY ANY GOOD will depend on how they were stored I would use them for practice not for that once in a life-time hunt.
  • flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    I don't think CCI was in business early enough to have made corrosive primers. ARE THEY ANY GOOD will depend on how they were stored I would use them for practice not for that once in a life-time hunt.

+1

Try a few out and see if they go bang and if their corrosive.
  • Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a box of old primers of various makes and sizes. Came out of an attic and was post marked in the 50's..Every once in a while I'll break out a pack (paper and wood) and load them up. Haven't had a misfire ever with these old primers...
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member