In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Advice on bullet weight for 22-250?

jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
Just aquired a new 22-250 and decided to start handloading for it again. I don't have any clue about most of the bullets out there, never used any, have only ever loaded 55gr FMJ for my old one.

I looking for suggestions, comments, advice, pros and cons of any and all manufacturers in the 40 to 55gr range. Was also planing to stick with either HPs or Ballistic Tips, and suggestions or advice?

Thanks Guys!

Comments

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For max accuracy I found the 52-53 Grain Flat Based Bergers did great. I was never able to get the Nosler 55BT's to shoot well. Generally speaking the flat based bullets I tested always shot best. The 40 grain bullets can get loaded real fast but lose punch after about 300 yards.
  • haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    What is the rate of twist?? Most are 1 in 12, but I had a ruger that was 1 in 9.
  • jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by haroldchrismeyer
    What is the rate of twist?? Most are 1 in 12, but I had a ruger that was 1 in 9.

It is 1-12", that is one reason I want to stay between 40-55gr pills.
  • scrubberguyscrubberguy Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JT:
    I think you've got the right weight range for your "twist". In my experince it's buy the best you can find. Not many shops will be able to carry everything, so take a good hard look at what you can get locally and buy what works best in the gun your shooting.[8D]
  • HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    JT - If you plan on loading them "hot" be advised that the Sierra HPs tend to have a pretty thin jacket. They are extremely accurate in anything I load them in. I don't have any personal experience with the 22-250 but I remember seeing a thread on here about them coming apart at high velocities.
    I would try the Berger 52 grain HPs (Midway has them on sale right now), the 52 grain Hornady A-Max's, or the 55 grain Nosler BTs.
  • lpaalplpaalp Member Posts: 947 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pretty much agree with all the above. I have a 1-12" 22-250 which shoots Hornady 52gr Match like they are on a wire; almost as good with 52gr Vmax. I had no luck with BTs, haven't tried anything lighter than 50gr.
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had good luck and accuracy with 55g Nosler BT's and Calhoun 50g Double HP's. The Calhouns I only have shot at 100-150 yard range, I have not had the chance to test them farther out yet. I am going to load some up hopefully in the next few days.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    You might find that the 40 grain Ballistic Tip is a flat out shooter compared to some of the heavier bullets, you just need to shoot a few and find out if your rifle likes em.....
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    40-60gr in a 1:12,..I would try 52gr SMK's, 52gr a-max as well as 40/50/55gr NBT's.

52gr SMK + 38.5gr H380 and WLR primer = bugholes in my pards 700vls I just finished loading him another 50.
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Are you sure it is a 1-12 twist? Doing just a quick check it looks like the major manufacturers are using 1-14 twist with a 22-250. 1-12 on 223...what gun to you have? 1-14 twist at 22-250 speeds will stabilize 40 to 55 grain bullets. Mine shoots the Sierra 55 gr SPT the best. It basically one holes them when driven by 36 grains of IMR4320. I am shooting a Savage 110 heavy barrel with a 26 inch barrel. I have tried to shoot 55 gr FMJ and I have never got them to shoot really will...best about 1 inch at 100 yards. The Sierra 55 gr will go into 1/4 inch. Enjoy your 22-250 its a great cartridge!
  • jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    5mm, it is 1-12". It is a Savage 12FV, their 22-250 and 204Ruger had a factory 1-12" barrel. Don't worry, I did a lttle homework, thanks for the question though. In my 700 I used to have all I ever shot was Remington's 55 FMJ, they didn't shoot to awful bad, but I never did get them below .75". I have a little more time and money now so I want to find a bullet/bullets that I can get below that.

Also, I hear what you guys are saying on the Berger's! I shoot them exclusively in my 308Win and still haven't found another bullet that my Mod.70 will put down in the .15" range. I was going to order some from Midway but found them a couple dollars cheaper at www.wideners.com. I am going to place an order this evening.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jtmarine0831,

At the speeds your rifle can put them out, they will stabilize 60 gr. pills. My favorite is the 60 gr. V-max.
  • ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    52gr amax in front of 36.5 gr of win 748 is a 1 hole shooter in my gun. work up too this load.