In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need Info on a 22-243 Wildcat

Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭
Just this past weekend I stumbled upon a rifle for sale. It is a completely stock Pre-64 Winchester Model 70 Varmint rifle (1959 vintage, I think) in 243 Winchester. The rifle would grade out at about 95%, having a recoil pad added at some point, but the overall finish was reasonable for its age. It came with a brand new, recently mounted Weaver K-10 scope. Interestingly enough, the rifle also came with another matching (non-Winchester) barrel chambered for 22-243. The guy who was selling it had the 22-243 barrel mated to the action at some point and showed me targets with groups of less than half an inch reputedly shot at 100 yards. In addition to some standard 243 ammo, the rifle came with 100 newly formed 22-243 casings and a full set of RCBS dies.

The guy wants $1400 for the whole shooting match. He claims the 22-243 barrel, brass, and dies are worth $500 alone. I wouldn't be prone to swapping barrels like my wife changes shoes, so I'm not sure the 22-243 barrel holds much interest for me. I'd be pretty happy with the standard 243 Win setup. If so, I'd most likely buy the entire suite and sell the extra 22-243 barrel, brass, and dies to reduce the overall purchase price. So, having said that, here are a couple of questions:

1. I don't know anything about the 22-243 wildcat. Does it offer anything over the standard 243 or, say, a 22-250? What about barrel life?

2. Is there a market for the 22-243 stuff? Again, the guy claims it's worth $500 alone. I suppose that's if someone wants to buy it. However, assuming the barrel is well cared for and has remaining life, would $500 be a reasonable asking price?

Any other thoughts on the 22-243 VS 243, especially in this setup?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Barrel and dies for wildcat worth $500.00 I think not . It would have to be fitted to anyone's action my WAG is $200.00 TOPS Plus the price of the model 70 that has been messed with $600.00 or less plus fixed power weaver less then $100.00 used.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My question would be if the rifle is truly stock since it is now a switch barrel rifle?

I do know you can get custom dies, neck turning equipment and Lapua brass for a 22BR for a lot less than 500 bucks.
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Not worth the money.

Pre 64 Winny...nice. But, has been messed with (22/243 barrel fitted and fired in this action).

You can buy a NEW stainless, bull barrel, match trigger, etc, etc Savage for $950...and a second barrel in whatever caliber you want for another $300.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    who made the barrel? who was the gunsmith? that plays a lot into price,..as you can't really prove the work or materials after machining and installation. Also,..a modified pre-64 will be greatly decreased in value.

I'd maybe pay $800 if the barrel was a match grade and I could verify the smith who did the work.

price is high to me,...if all you want is an accurate .243, you can buy one a LOT cheaper even with a scope.
  • Options
    Old GunnyOld Gunny Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Old Gunny (12 years Armorer USMC) agrees with all you fellas and your above answers. I own, love and shoot pre-l964- actually pre-l952 era Model 70's: Any time you alter one in any way you lower it's value- to some extend. The wildcats are hard to sell, and unless you find someone who has a short action (.243 and .308 are both on the same OAL case size- 51mm)Model 70 action and matched bolt group for sale. Also, is this M70 a Featherweight or a Std. with a 24" barrel- major difference here. I have 3 older M70's (none are for sale) also a pre-Garcia Sako Forrester in .243Win in a custom Bishop thumbhole stock- all wear Leupold scopes. Case in point- my late father bought a SuperGrade M70 in l939 in 30-06 (OK- 30-Gov't-06) with the earlier style safety, and rear receiver bridge was not drilled and tapped for scope mountig- all the later Model 70's (transition through l963) were. Dad had a G&H sidemount and a 6x Stith on it- when he gave it to me in l978, I "altered it" by removing the side mount and filling the holes with proper set screws, sold the Stith and G&H mounts, bought a Buehler safety conversion kit and changed the older (9 o'clock to 6o'clock) style safety to the later style (6 o'clock to 3 o'clock) and drilled and tapped the rear receiver bridge and installed a Leupold MX-6 scope in Buehler two pc. rings- So my SuperGrade is "altered" but as it is going to my Grandson some day, and will never be sold, no harm, no foul- at least to me. I am a tool maker by trade, and more of a "parts changer" than a gunsmith who does stock checkering, engraving, custom metal work and re-blueing- by my specialty in the USMC was accurizing rifles for both sniper and Match team shooters-
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    I think 1400 is to much money. Having said that I have a 22-243 Midd and I love the round. It will go faster than a 22-250 but at a price barrel life. And with the new 58 gr v max 243 bullets a 243 will do everything a 22-243 will do with more barrel life. So there would not be much market. Tell him he can kept the barrel and brass and take off 500 dollars...but I think $900 is still high for a pre 64.
  • Options
    Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, all. I think I'll pass on this "deal" and hold out for an unmolested Pre-64 varmint rifle in either 243 or 220 Swift. I have no doubt I'll find the right rifle, with a little patience and research.