In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Will this reloader be good for.....

D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
once in awhile reloading? Maybe in the area of 3-4 times a month or less. Cals 7.62x39,223,243win,30-30,308win

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=89347568

Comments

• Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It'll work, but so will a basic single stage press (for less money)
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The advantage to this press is you can buy turrets for all the calibers you load for, and won't have to readjust the dies when changing from one to the other.
  • D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    Which turret would I be best off with the 3 or 4 hole? Or both?
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Go with a good quality single station press and then if you decide to upgrade to a turret press get a Dillon I dont dislike the price of lee equipment but the durability of their turret is not great IMHO
  • mikecarol63mikecarol63 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi; I have the same exact press, and I like it a lot. I bought extra
    turrets, so all I have to do is pop the right cal. in, and away I go. B U T , I also am new to reloading, and haven't tried any other press. Just my $.02. Mike
  • flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure how long that would hold up. I may be wrong but I thought it was designed for pistol rounds, not rifle.
  • scrubberguyscrubberguy Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    D@D:
    Lots to be said for a single stage press to start off with. However I will give you points for not wanting to buy a Dillion 650 or a Star as your first press!

The Lee turret will handle all your rifle reloading needs and has a 2 year money back warranty. I'd buy the four holer as thats the latest design.

I'd also suggest a bit "O" patients and watch the auction site for at least 3 weeks you might get a good deal on a rcbs or lee single stage press and save some money.[8D]
  • jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every beginning reloader needs to start on a single stage for safety reasons. A single stages lets you become intimately familiar with each process of handloading and there is little chance of missing a step as is with lack of experince and a turret or progressive press. Most people believe that with a progressive it is just pull the handle and load a case and that is all there is to it, WRONG! With turret and progressive presses more attention to each step is a must to prevent a mishap, i.e. double charge, no charge, etc.. With as single stage press you rarely have to readjust dies when you switch them out unless you don't utilize the set screws, tension o-rings, etc.. I suggest getting a single stage, but that is just me.

If you are going to do low volume loading as you seem to be, I suggest a single stage lee press and dies. They are not very expensive, but are very durable and user friendly. Once adjusted, the dies should not need readjusted unless you don't remove the dies by the lock nut. Yes this takes a little extra time switching dies, but the money you save on the press and dies can be spent for supplies. The press you are looking at it good for the money and as suggested the interchangable turret plates make caliber changes a snap, just use a little extra caution and pay close attention and you will be fine.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

Jeremy
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you really have your heart set on this press kit , save some money here.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=622290&t=11082005
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    One further thought. Lee also makes a classic cast press- far beefier than their standard turret press.
  • ladamsladams Member Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have that press, it does a good job for occasional reloading. I have a single stage press that I usually use for rifle rounds, the turrent is mostly handgun. Good price good press..... do not let others fool you into spending several times more for a press.