In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Federal Cases

76k2076k20 Member Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
Hello Everyone!

Does anyone else think that Federal brand cases have "looser" primer pockets than some other brands? I probably toss 1 or 2 cases per hundred simiply because the primer literally falls out after priming! I use a Lee Autoprime for priming, and hence I "feel" the difference between the Federal brand and say Winchester or Remington. I thought at first maybe the caliber was the problem, but I have noticed this in half dozen or so calibers and both rifle and pistol calibers. Other than the primer pocket issue, Federals work just fine, but usually get loaded for ammo that probably will be used and brass not picked up, mostly plinking ammo. Not that one or two cases per hundred really matter too much, but I find myself avoiding it whenever possible (well, unless it is free!!) Any thoughts on this??

Comments

• Options
    joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree that federal seems to be the largest (however so slight). But I think at times winchester can be too tight and have the occasional case that will not seat properly because of this. Joe
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used thousands of Federal Large Rifle Primers and have never noticed that once.
    I have used some small rifle (box of 1,000) as well (Did not notice it there either)but mostly Winchester on SR.
    I use the RCBS "Hand Priming Tool" and when I seat a primer I turn it 90degrees and repress it a second time.

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also use Federal cases with Whincester, CCI and Federal Primers (occasionally Remington) in LP, LR, SP and SR and can not say I have ever had that happen in tens of thousands of rounds.
    Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    wcoxy2003wcoxy2003 Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i load handguns and federal brass works great for me. ive never had any fall out on me either. i use a dillon reloader and use the lee hand primer.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Loose primers in the primer pocket is normally a sign of over pressure loads the last time this case was fired. Brass work hardens and it needs to have fairly soft walls to avoid mouth splits. I think Remington and Federal for the most part are softer then other brands and MAY show pressure signs when loaded to the MAX before some other brands. I think you need to take a hard look at your loads The next thing after loose primers is hot gases in your face[xx(][:(][V]
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    fed brass seems to be a tad softer and therefore will not feel as tight when seating a primer. Also, fed primers use softer material, so seating a fed primer in a fed case will feel loose.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    JustC has it right. I think Federal brass is a little softer. If you run it hot you will open the primer pockets on Federal brass quicker that other manufacturers but on the flip side, it will last longer if you don't push it to hot.
  • Options
    greystonegreystone Member Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's a good little article on primers,loose pockets and pressure signs. Dave

http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php
  • Options
    76k2076k20 Member Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the replies and the link, great article! I use mostly Winchester or CCI (tried the standard, magnum, and benchrest versions)primers to reload, it does not seem to matter which I use, both brands feel about the same. I have had primers fall out from once fired Factory loaded ammo (after resizing and repriming), and even the once fired feels loose. I had some Gold Metal match brass I purchased new and loaded, again the pockets felt a little loose, even when new.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello 76k20 Is there any chance your loads are touching the lands or maybe even a bullet that is the wrong size for you bore 323 8MM in a rifle that has a 318 8MM bore. I still think you are near to having a BIG problem if you cause the primer pocket to enlarge with just one firing.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have found what lots of BR shooters have found. Federal primers seat easier and feel better when seating in the pocket. It might be the shape but most likely the cup itself is softer and slides into a pocket easier. I prefer Federal primers for that reason.
  • Options
    ladamsladams Member Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always thought that Federal cases were made of a softer brass. I know I get less loads out of Federal brass than some of the other brands. As for primers federal primers are definetly softer than the other brands. I no longer use federal primers in any of my auto guns because of slam fires.
  • Options
    Dr YodtDr Yodt Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Once while conducting a 5000 round endurance test on a rifle we were shooting exclusively Federal Gold Medal Match. As the guns heated up we would pop primers. My partner an avid high power shoter claimed that Federal was known for that especially in high pressure and high heat situations. I never have much trouble with them in normal use. If you are still having issues with cases with soft or large pockets maybe you should buy some on the Lake City Brass I have been listing on this site. Check out the reloading section under supplies I have afew there and will be posting much more in the coming days weeks. Tell your friends about GB's reloading area since ebay shafted us all we need to share the word out here.