In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

stuck case in die

joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
You guessed it, I have a stuck case in the die. I have tried everything I can think of including taking out the depriming pin and tring to "punch out the case" with a punch. No luck and the problem is the rim to the case is destroyed. Do I at this point have to send it back?

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I believe RCBS makes a stuck case remover tool. Some have had luck with threading the flashole; personally all that happened for me when I tried that was it ripped the new threads off. Otherwise yes, for a nominal fee (perhaps free depending on the company) the factory will remove it.
  • Options
    scrubberguyscrubberguy Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Joes:
    How did you attempt to punch out the case? I'm thinking you my have held the die in your hand and then struck the punch with a hammer?

If so it won't work. Which you've found out.

So take your die and install it upside down in your press. That means thread it in from the side you would normally feed a case in from. make sure it extends all the way out the top of the press and then tighten up your lock ring.

Now put your punch in the case and bring the ram up against it and grunt hard! You may have to put a flat piece of steel over the ram to support the punch.

It won't hurt to put a pair of vise grips on the case and get someone to twist a little as your grunting!

If this doesn't get it out your done! By the way this will also tell you weather your press is anchored right or not![8D]
  • Options
    ww2buff9067ww2buff9067 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I ended up, albeit very stupidly, cutting the bottom of the case off and trying to crush the case and pull it out with a pliers....it's still stuck and I have now no way to get it out. I bought a new die, it was cheaper than paying the freight to send the die to RCBS. I keep the old one as a gentle reminder to exercise patience while sizing, and to lube my cases properly.
  • Options
    7mmbr7mmbr Member Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have and have used one made by RCBS and like it. You have to be careful when you drill through the primer flash hole to not proceed into the case too deep for damage to the depriming pin and sizing button and rod.

I took the original screw they supplied that used an allen wrench to turn it and replaced it with one same thread pitch but has a hex head so as to use a socket or a open end wrench to turn it and place a washer or 2 on top to limit the depth of the bolt as well.

When the case pulls free, use a hack saw to cut it in half, but not all the way through. Again being careful to not damage the pin, sizing button or rod or most of all, the mouth of the die!! After all of this, you will have to remove the button and slide the rod out. Just besure to clean the die before useing again to remove any pieces of cut brass. Hope this helps, and is faster than sending it back.

Seen the least, feared the most!!!!!
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Joes, Get yourself a RCBS stuck case puller. You just drill, tap and then pull the case out. It is really slick. Only way to go!!
  • Options
    76k2076k20 Member Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think a stuck case remover will work now that he has removed the case head and tried to use pliers to remove it. Now there is nothing to tap into.
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Put the die and the stuck case in the freezer....wait about three hours.

:)
  • Options
    7mmbr7mmbr Member Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    76K20, you have a very good point!!! goes to show what happens when you don't fully read the entire qoute ;)!!! Me being the primary one for I replied first!!!!!!! What if he (or others ) before buying a new die, try a broken bit/screw remover after they have cut the case head off?

Seen the least, feared the most!!!!!
  • Options
    joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Solved- I took out the depriming pin, inserted a phillips head screwdriver and tapped it out ( at times may have been more than a tap) now all I need to replace is the sleeve that holds the depriming pin in place. Small price to pay I guess. thanks to all.
  • Options
    jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Even though you plan on not having another stuck case, buy a stuck case remover![;)] Cause it isn't if you will have another, it is when! And when you have to use the stuck case remover only screw the die in as far as you need to to start the threaded end of the remover, this will allow you to gain more leverage.

I reload a lot of .223Rem and no matter how clean I get them and how careful I am to get just the right amount of lube on the cases equally I still get stuck cases on occasion due to their tiny rims.

So be on the safe side and buy one, better to have it lying there collecting dust in the drawer than to need it and not have it or ruin a die![;)]
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    have you tried a self tapping screw? if you can remove the decaping pin find a fine threaded self tapper. works similar to the RCBS removal tool but cost .15 cents instead of 30 bucks.

It worked for me your mileage will vary.
  • Options
    bgjohnbgjohn Member Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One time I had the head pull off the case. I found a tap of the correct size, threaded it into the case and drove it out with a drill rod.
    JM
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Kroil can help make it come out. Also, freezing is a good ploy, as the brass shrinks more than the steel of the die. CO2 fire extinguishers are better than freezing, if you have one that is out of service due to date/partial use. I have used Air pressure to blow one out, and have used Hydraulic pressure also - for these, you need to make an adapter that threads in where your decapper or bullet pushrod goes, and put a screw in the primer hole. I have filled one with grease, put a screw in the primer hole, and used a plastic rod that fits snug in the decapper threads, then rapped it out with a hammer. Of the above methods I listed, the only one that would help in case of torn/removed base would be the freezing and Kroil.