In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Fireforming new cases?

dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
As you already know, I purchased a Rem 700 in 17 Remington.

The new RP brass is very nice, but it is still, new brass. Primer pockets are excellent. NO burrs on the inside of the fire hole, and relatively square with the world. Case mouths are dented and the case mouth actually has a little bit of bell mouth - like the type when you bell the mouth of straight wall cases to accept a bullet.

I have found, during the beginning of my load workup for this rifle, that the cases really need to be fireformed to this chamber before I like the brass.

Suggestions on fireforming?

I would prefer not to spend the money on good bullets and powder to form...but if I have to, I guess that I will.

Of note, during the load workup, I started at the bottom of the recommended loads for three different powders with five different primers. So far, this round REALLY prefers one flavor of primer with any of the powders that I have tried. I also found, that if I am not in the high 3600 to 3800 fps range on the chronograph, the cases are not fireformed to this chamber.

Comments

• Options
    shooter93shooter93 Member Posts: 322 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ken Howell in his book on forming cartridges has a very good mthod for forming cases without bullets.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Name of the book? Sorry....not familiar...but looks like I am about to be!!
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Designing and Forming Custom Cartridges by Ken Howell

You can get it through Brownells or maybe even Midway.

Brownells # 113-000-010

There is also:

The Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions by John J. Donnelly
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    A method I use;

Forming, say, the 6mm/22...I used 10 gr. Bullseye, fill the case with kapok, seal the mouth of case with wax, and fireform.
    Kapok is the fluffy stuff found in pillows and such..not foam, mind you.
    Works without a hitch.
    I imagine that the .17 would take far less Bulleye to work. I started at about 8 grains and worked up till I found the right amount to use.

By all accounts, the .17 is a bit finiky about the loads required.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Once again....THANKS!
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    I went back and reviewed Howells' method.

He reccomended using ONLY large pistol primers..supposed to hold down pressure.

He used an over powder wad of a bit of tissue paper, filled the rest of the case with instant Ralston/Cream of Wheat or cornmeal. then pressed a small amount of bullet lubricant on the case mouth.

He uses Nontes' old formula to find amount of Bullseye..

Take an empty, unformed case, fill it completely full of Bullseye, level to the mouth. Pour that powder into your scale pan and weigh it. Then divide by TEN to find the amount for your first load.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jamm a bullet in the lands by about .020",..load a light charge of fast powder for the parent cartridge, and fire them. That is how I do my Ackleys,..but I run the load ladder at the same time to save bore life.[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I would like to save the bore AND not cost so much.

Somewhat of a predicament!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You won't be spending anything extra if you run the load ladder at the same time. All you'll do later is back the bullet up and make a small change in powder to accomodate.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    But it only takes 20 rounds to run a ladder test and another 40 to zero in on the load.

I have 300 cases with another 100 on the way.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    that sounds about right,..I usually have maybe 40-45 rnds in the ladder, and another 10-15 re-testing the accuracy load from the ladder to confirm.

even if FL sized, they will still blow out to reach the chamber walls once that primer is lit.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    JustC - yep....agreed.

New brass sucks...LOL!

The ladder test on the 17 Rem has been a VERY good learning experience.

This little round is not partial to what it likes...but is VERY partial to what it does not like....at least this rifle.

If the loads do not generate high 3600 fps (on my chronograph - which I question it's accuracy), then you end up with a case that is dirty around the neck and the body - signs of a low pressure load.

Once this was discovered, I do not start at the low end, but at a point that I am confident is just under the high 3600's...and work up... two tenths of a grain at a time from there.

Also discovered that this rifle in 17 Rem PREFERS CCI 450 Magnum primers....don't bother with anything else.
  • Options
    bgjohnbgjohn Member Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just load it up and shoot it. I just can't see going to the range and shooting a bunch of BLANKS![:(]
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Just Inherited my Father's .35 Whelen-Ackley Improved....the "Cream of Wheat" method is what he used to form the cases from 30-06 brass.

He was using a "Muffler" built of a garbage can lined with cardboard and filled with wet newspaper, but after a few cases in quick succession, had a "grain elevator" explosion!!

I am wondering if there have been any advances in this process?

Also, are Hornady's Lever Revolution Poly tipped bullets available seperately from their loaded ammunition?
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    I haven't seen the new bullets for sale by themselves...suggest you call Hornady and ask them for a part number if they are and then take it to Midway.
  • Options
    joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use the form fitting session to properly break in the barrel. Kill two birds with one stone and both should be completed so you can work on finding the perfect load with a barrel ready for the task,...........and you get go shot, which is (what I guess) something we here all love to do!