In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.300 weatherby mag. Rookie

I just got a 300 mag and plan on having a shop reload my ammo. I bought 4 boxes of weatherby brass and for $28.00 per 20 rounds they will load them.they r experienced I'm sure but I want to take those empties there and tell them what I want.I will be hunting deer,bear and elk 'trip in 09'.I also plan on doing a fair amount of target shooting with it.So can anyone tell me a good combo to use ? I want to shoot tight groups at the range ,to show my 12 year old son that dad is the man. As for loads to kill game, 100-250 yard shots,with knock down power rather than speed.Atleast I was told the speed too high from the 300 will pass through a deer too fast and therefore give it a chase to make it to another hunter.OK I'd really apprieciate any info y'all can muster up.

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Scott,

First thing I learned with Wby's, was if you want to get the velocity then you have to stuff the bullet deep in the case and it needs to 'make the jump'...so to speak. In a Wby case the bullet down in the case takes up powder room, which increases pressure as ignition occurs. The bullet then gets a run at the lands and has a little speed going before it engages them.You might want to go over that with your reloaders and ensure they know that about that case.

Second, I try to partial full size. This may be something to go over with them when you turn in your brass for the second run. This saves brass. It can also cause difficulty in re-chambering brass if it isn't exact. In which case you would need to full length resize and count on tossing brass at 4-5 loadings.

My preferred load for the game you are going after would be 180 gr. of either a Nosler Partition or an Accubond or Hornady Interbond. The Hornady IB is the equivalent of the Accubond...and last time I checked it's less expensive. Your reloaders should be able to get you a safe heavy hitting load for those bullets.
  • Options
    ladamsladams Member Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    28 for 20 to reload brass that you give them seems really high to me......I reload once fired 300 weatherbys for my gun for about 50 cents a round.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    scott,

I tended to want to concur with ladams about the cost being a bit high for twenty rounds at first. But if you think about it the time spent by someone to reload for you, and do it right shouldn't be cheap. They are doing a quality job for you and that should reflect in the price. For Wby's that price isn't bad either. Wby ammo has always been good ammo. But now, you get exactly what you want. and for an average of $12.00 less per box I think it is really a deal. That is if you don't reload.
  • Options
    awindsawinds Member Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a hint about reloaded shells.....
    Before you go hunting, always cycle the reloads through the gun,
    (in a very safe manner),
    to be sure they chamber properly.
    Good huntin'