In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

forming 25-06 brass

konamtbikerkonamtbiker Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
I am wanting to reload my 25-06 with lapua brass. Lapua dosent make 25-06 brass. But they do make 30-06. I need to know the procedure to form 30-06 brass into 25-06. Do i FL size or can i just NK size? Or something else. THanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lot of effort for little return. If you expect to get improved accuracy I would size down in steps- 280,270,6.5, and finally a full length 25/06. Neck thinning of some sort will be needed. I suggest outside neck turning but that may leave a slight ring at the base of the neck.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    "Neck thinning of some sort will be needed. "... MAKE THAT "MAY BE NEEDED", IF THIS IS A 'FACTORY' CHAMBER YOU MAY NOT NEED TO NECK TURN (FOR THIKNESS ANY WAY). MOST FACTORY CUT CHAMBERS ARE VERY GENEROUS FOR NECK CLEARANCE.
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Inside neck turn (ream). Simple, looks better, cheap. Outside turning takes skill and experience and you can easily ruin a case if you go just a little too far. Been there, done that
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    unless you have a good match grade barrel,..I would doubt you'll see much difference at all. However,..the correct way to do it is to turn the necks down after sizing down. It isn't very difficult but the tools will run you a few bucks. I use the K&M neck turning equipment.
  • Options
    konamtbikerkonamtbiker Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe I will just stick to Remington brass then. Dont know if i want to spend time turning the necks. Plus i dont have any neck turning equipment. I am shooting out of a 27in Shilen SS select match. Thanks for all the info!
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    I use Remington brass in my 25-06 with 100 gr Sierra, and 4831 powder...chrono says just a tad over 3400 fps ((27 inch barrel) and it shoots 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards. I would say the Remington brass works just fine.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might try weighing your cases,a light turning to true the neck thickness, and neck sizing. I agree that only a very accurate rifle will show significant improvement. I have a 25/06 Savage 110FP that shoots consistant groups under 1/2" with Remington 100grain factory loads. This rifle might do better with specifically tailored loads but as long as I can get this performance I won't spend the time.
  • Options
    Jim the PA HunterJim the PA Hunter Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm new to the forum but I have been using 30-06 and 270's to make 25-06's for a long time. Sizing from 30 to 270 and then to 25 should be ok. I can tell you that my 25-06 is a Rem. mod. 700 and if you do not thin the necks of 30-06's you end up with much higher chamber pressures. I've blown primers and split necks (when I first got into forming them). You can get away with most 270's. Some 30-06's depending on the manufacturer. I'd ream them any. No sense in playing russian roulette with chamber pressures. I preferred using military brass because there was no caliber headstamps, (just in case someone picked up one of my 25's and thought it was a 270 or 30!). You'd have to be blind not to see the difference between 30 & 25 cals but still, I've heard of and seen many people do stupid things. When using military brass you MUST ream the necks after sizing. I use a RCBS 25-06 case form/reamer die. I lube up the case, run it into the die, and reamed it through the top of the die. A tap handle is used with the set but I chucked my reamer in a small cordless drill. When doing up a couple hundred cases, your hands get tired using that tap wrench! Don't forget to also TRIM the cases to the proper length! One more thing .... the military brass requires their primer pockets swaged. I used a deburring tool chucked in a drill press for that job. Set your depth gauge so not to over do it. Military MATCH brass works nice too. It must be form/ream/swag/trim also. Hope that helps! Good luck and happy shooting![^]
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lapua does produce 270 brass. Try it. Full length size it, then trim to length.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.