In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

IPSC Questions

chaoslodgechaoslodge Member Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭
I am in the process of joining a club here in NC that hosts IPSC matches. They look really cool and like something I would like to do. I anticipate shooting in the production category. My pistol will be a Taurus PT99 which is not very pretty but it is the gun I own and I am somewhat attached to it after it has ridden on my hip for the past 5 years.

My questions are around what other equipment I need. Magazine pouches are obvious. I have two holsters. One is a DeSantis that can be inside or outside the belt. The other is a Don Hume "First Agent" bikini (?) style holster. I know that the holster has to cover the trigger when the gun is in it. I very much prefer the Don Hume for carrying since my gun rides so nicely in it. Will it be OK for IPSC?

Also any other tips for someone getting started. I know there is a class that will be given soon too introduce new folks.

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think your Hume belt slide will be ok to get started. If you stay with it, one or another Kydex holster would be slicker for competition. Not Fobus, though, those are pretty junky.

Otherwise, you need extra magazines and belt carriers. Since you are limited to 10 rounds in USPSA Production, you will need several extra magazines on your person. Eye protection, ear protection, weather protection, and something to carry your gear in and you are all set. Pay attention to instructions and have a good time.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What Hawk Carse said.
    LOTS of mags, and holders for them.

Plus a bag of some kind, to put your used brass in.
    Other people will be picking up your brass after you shoot, while you are checking targets. You will want something for them to put it in. Just about anything will work, some people even us "Crown Royal" bags. [;)][:D]

Don't worry about this right away, get familiar with the sport first. But down the road, when moving from one shooting "position" to the next, change mags. Have a fresh one in, when you get to the new shooting position. Nothing "wastes" more time on the clock, than changing mags, when you are supposed to be shooting. (you can't do this in IDPA, just in case you get to try that sport)

Also, don't worry about speed, worry about accuracy. Doesn't matter how fast you shoot, if you can't hit the target. Speed will come, once you can hit the target.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I have used a Taurus 99 for about 10 years for IPSC and IDPA competition. I have plenty of other pistol such as H&K, Glock, S&W,etc., But the 99 is my favorite. I use a Fobus Belt Holster because it quick. I would recommend changing the barrel to a Beretta. The drop in a 99 and are more accurate. My 99 has over 30,000 rounds thru it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wow,

Thanks a lot everyone for the answers and the encouragement.
  • Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    practice draws and reloads
    do not to try to shoot faster than your eyes move
    get the hits on target
    and rember fast is smooth and smooth is fast
    AND HAVE FUN
  • Options
    edited November -1
    One more question. I really want to touch up the little dots on my adjustable sights (Taurus PT99) if I get some of that paint stuff from Brownells am I still within the Production parameters?
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Yes, you can even change sights and be legal. My first gun for matches was a PT-99. Practice with a lot of dryfiring during the winter.Then you will be ready for all the fun [:D][:D]
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I get my paint from a regular hobby shop.
    Works just as good, and you have a LOT more choices of colors. [:D]
    Florescent? [:0]
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chaoslodge
    One more question. I really want to touch up the little dots on my adjustable sights (Taurus PT99) if I get some of that paint stuff from Brownells am I still within the Production parameters?

The only sight you need is the front one. If you use both you are going too slow.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    More fun with a Grendel P30; everyone keeps looking at you, trying to see when you'll change mags!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone. The model paint tip is really appreciated too.