In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Which powder scale and charger combo is best

snowy1snowy1 Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
I am shopping for a digital scale that would be hooked up to a automatic powder dispenser and am confused on which name brand to buy. I have never used one before and wonder about the cost versus functions and features. I do a medium amount of rifle reloading and a ocasional reload and a couple of pistol calibers...Help!

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Lyman 1200 DPS II or III is the one I think is the best for the money.I have read where guys are having troubles with the RCBS combo and going to the Lyman. Check the price on them at Wal-Mart.
    I wish I had got one years ago.
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the RCBS and love it, don't think I could load anymore without it. No troubles and extemely accurate.
  • Fuzzy HoleFuzzy Hole Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You'll probably like any of them if you've never had one before, but I just traded my PACT in for the RCBS and would give the PACT an 8 and the RCBS a 10. It is about 5 seconds slower than the PACT but it ALWAYS throws the correct amount, where the PACT drifted and I always had to make adjustments to keep it right on. The PACT throws 33.0 grains VV N-135 in about 20 seconds but you have to wait a few more seconds for it to stabilize. The RCBS does it in about 25 seconds without any extra time to stabilize. I have no experience with the Lyman unit. My best guess is RCBS costs most, then the other two are fairly close. I liked the PACT unit while it worked, but cannot say their service was acceptible. I love my RCBS but haven't had it long enough to comment on their service. I feel I got what I paid for.
  • I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
    edited November -1
    snowy1:

Scroll down to Dec. 27, you'll see some more conversation about scales and chargers.

I have Pact and RCBS scales, dies, etc. and have never had a problem with service from either of them. Always fast, never a charge either.

I'm wondering who will do the quality control on the recent RCBS Chinese made products? If they are returned to original condition they are still of questionable quality in my estimation.
  • lpaalplpaalp Member Posts: 947 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a Lyman DPS II. Digital, accurate, easy to use; more features than I want/need/use(I just want the requisite amount of powder in the pan quickly and easily - I'm not concerned that it record loads, remember 3 digit settings, etc). Most difficult aspect is emptying the powder when finished; its not difficult, but I had to step thru the instructions the first 4-5 times I used it.
  • knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lyman sells an upgrade kit that upgrades all of the DPS scales up to the DPS 111 It dispenses very fast and empties much easier for clean up.
    Less than $20.00 at Cabellas
  • fire for effectfire for effect Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the Lyman and I am very happy with it.
  • darton2darton2 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah I read that web page too. Thats why I ordered the RCBS. Guess what I got. Unchecked quality from China that did not work. Now I have two weeks and allot of money tied up and still do not have anything. I wish I would have gone with a PACT.
  • pistlropistlro Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought the Lyman 1200 III. Works great, I start it and let it warm up while I get the rest of my supplies in order so my wait time is minimal. I haven't timed the loads but it seem pretty quick to me. Check out the prices at Midsouth shooters supply. I use them alot and have had no problems.
  • 44vernon44vernon Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    RCBS 1500 is what I use, never had any problems. It sits right next to the trim mate case care center. That thing is great! Vernon
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still use my RCBS 505 scale and my RCBS powder dispenser. I have to say I like the way it pretty consistently throws charges. But what I didn't like was the tube broke out at the top. And as far as I know you can't get a replacement tube. You supposedly need to get a new powder measure. So, I epoxied it together. Lee and Redding and Lyman all make powder measures. See if they have replaceable tubes.