In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.30 Carbine Ammo in Ruger Blackhawk

rljonesrljones Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
Is it safe to use the .30 Carbine ammo mfg. for the use in the .30 M1 carbine rifle in a Ruger Blackhawk? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Safe...yes and VERY LOUD!
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rljones,

I tested this ammunition in both the Blackhawk and the AutoMag with great results. The biggest problem is not only the noise but the muzzle flash which is intense under any light other than bright daylight. We dimmed the lights in an indoor shooting range and one of us shot while folks watched from the safety of the lobby observation windows. The muzzle flash was significant and temporarily blinded the shooter. My guess was that the flash was approximately 2-1/2 feet long!

Be careful when and where you shoot this cartridge in handguns.

Best.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    It is safe it is loud I suggest you reload and use a faster burning powder then is mostly used in M1 carbine rifle ammo . Look in reloading manuals for burn rate of powder but generally the load that has the smallest amount of powder in relationship to velocity is the fastest burning . The reason this may be your best choice is the rifle powder is still mid way through it's burn time in a short pistol barrel when the bullet gets to the muzzle but faster powder will have for the most part finished it burn . slow powder loud noise big muzzle flash[xx(]
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    When loading 30 carbine for a handgun use H110, 296, N110 or 2400.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A quick of Speer manual says use a light taper crimp and rifle primers for use in ruger. You will also be happier if there is no lube on brass or in the cylinder. HTH
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Yes definitely use small rifle primers when reloading the 30 Carbine.
  • Options
    scrubberguyscrubberguy Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rljones:
    If yours is anything like the one I had you'll find it is also case length sensitive. Yes it was designed to use surplus G.I. ammo!

Even with G.I. ball ammo I would find case's just long enough to cause drag during cycling. Once cases were trimmed during the reloading cycle no more trouble!

H-110 was the original powder made for the 30 carbine round. If your Ruger still has the 7 1/2 inch barrel it will be a lot of fun.[8D]
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an older model Ruger in .30 Carbine. I have used commercial, military, and my reloads in it with no problems.

With my reloads I used Win 296, it works great. .30 Carb needs to be trimmed with each reload. The cases stretch when they are re-sized and since they headspace in the front rim, length is very critical.