In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7mm TCU

sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
Just enquiring as to whether any of you shoot the 7mm TCU and if so in what firearm and what loads do you prefer?

I went to the range today with mine and shot @ 100 and 300. I seem to have overall done better at 300 than @ 100. I got 6 into a 4" group @ 300. Two more were within 8" and I pulled two but they were both still on the paper(14"x22"). This from a 14" TC Contender. Conditions were light snow and ten degrees....amazing how much colder it seems when your hands get wet but it's twenty degrees warmer than the last time you went out. I can't say enough about the 7mm TCU in an accurate platform such as the TC Contender. the load was 24 gr. of AA-SMR-2015. The 100 groups were 2" and 3". I dunno what I did other than I was really cold and decided to quit before I had shot what I came to shoot.

I'm just interested in some of your 7mm TCU, or any other handgun long range records, loads, firearms, etc.

Comments

• Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    Sandwarrior, this may be off of your main topic, but I think you'll injoy reading this artical, It talks about building a Savage Striker to shoot an 8" group at 1000 yards:
    http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek083.html
  • Options
    bgjohnbgjohn Member Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love the TCU calibers. I have three. A 23" T/C carbine barrel in 6mm TCU and a couple of re-barreled XP-100's that I shoot pistol silhouette with. They are 6mm & 6.5mm TCU's. All seem to be accurate but I have never shot them to measure the group size. People who don't know about the TCU calibers are missing out. Easy to make cases and load. I make my 6mm cases from new 223 brass. Whenever I need 6.5 brass I make them out of the fire-formed 6mm TCU brass. All are accurate and fun to shoot. They will really do a job on coyotes.
    JM[^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mk19,

Thanks for the post! A lot of things in that article that I can use. No. 1 will be how to better control recoil. I have tried to hang on to my TC in the past but it doesn't take long and I start feeling the strains. So, I've just let it free recoil to an almost vertical position before it comes back down. So far groups have been good but nowhere near as good (consistently, anyways)as "Chucks". I've got to look at a different grip I think. Pretty amazing thought when I'm happy to get all my bullets on paper at 3 and he is knocking down rams at 5.
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    sandwarrior - I have a few TCUs. An Encore with a 10.5" MGM 7mmTCU barrel (silhouette sights), and a Contender with the 14" 7mmTCU barrel (scoped), a 10" 6mmTCU barrel (silhouette sights), and a 12" MGM 6.5mmTCU barrel (scoped).

I love them all. The are a great deer round and are easy on the recoil.

In my hunting rounds for the 7TCU I use mostly IMR 4895 or 3031 with 139 grain pills loaded near the bottom of the chart. This is mostly due to the fact that when using the Hornady manual, if I get too much above the lowest recommended load, I compress the powder too much for my liking. They are consistant and pretty accurate. If I do what I am supposed to do and have a good rest, I can shoot MOA out to 150 yards. My best group so far was .68" at 100 yards using 23.5 grains of 3031 with a 139 grain Hornady SP.
    For silhouette I use N130, but I haven't found the perfect load for it yet. It took me a long time to find the powder and now that I have it, I don't have the time to get to the range and do some real testing with it.

BTW, if you are interested, I have a pretty good Excel sheet with a bunch of TCU loads that I got from another silhouette junkie. I would be more than willing to send it to you.
  • Options
    bgjohnbgjohn Member Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use H335 to load my TCU calibers. I load 120's in my 6.5mm and 100's in the 6mm. I need to Chrony my loads to see what I'm getting for "V".
    JM
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Handgun,

I'm definitely interested in your loads. I've put a couple groups under an inch but nothing as tight as the guy in the article that MK19 posted. I'm lucky to squeeze under an inch. Half an inch is but a dream at this time. I've got to work on my technique. One thing I noted is I'm really not controlling the pistol during recoil and that probably is affecting accuracy.

I know what you mean too about the compressed loads. I've felt like sometimes with H4895 that I was compressing the loads so much that the cases were a little hard to fit in the chamber[?].

bgjohn,

I second the missing out part. I've known the guy who came up with these since their inception but it wasn't until about five years ago that I really got into the ballistics of them and how great they are. You gotta shoot them for yourself to see for sure. Because I sure didn't believe it for quite a few years. I'm hooked now.

Thanks for the return posts!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    sandwarrior - you have mail. Unfortunately, you can't attach a file to the mail through GB, so just reply to my mail and I will send the file in a reply back.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    sandwarrior - e-mail received and reply with spreadsheet sent.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Handgun,

That is awesome! I'm thinking I have about 1k Winchester brass that need to be converted!
  • Options
    bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
    edited November -1
    Off of the caliber thread a little (and by the way I've heard great things about the 7mm TCU) but I reloaded for my 7-30 waters and could get nickle and dime size groups at 100 yards. 14 inch barrel and Burris 2.5x8 great coyote and deer round. Nothing like a handgun[:D][8D]...Bull
  • Options
    deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have a 10" contender that shoots excellent groups at 100 yards with 115 gr pills in front of 25.6 gr of H322
  • Options
    edited November -1
    bull300WSM,

Actually you aren't off the subject at all. It was one of the rounds I was 'alluding to' when asking pistol shooters what their likes and dislikes were. Got any favorite loads?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    bull300WSM,

Actually you aren't off the subject at all. It was one of the rounds I was 'alluding to' when asking pistol shooters what their likes and dislikes were. Got any favorite loads?

Let me find my reloading data on the 7-30 and I will post it...Bull
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bull300wsm
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    bull300WSM,

Let me find my reloading data on the 7-30 and I will post it...Bull

sandwarror..If you have access to the Nosler reloading manuel number three you will find loads in there. I used the Nosler Ballistic Tip 140gr and 23.5 grs of RL7.This load was what I used to shoot the above said groups. As you know it seems every barrel seems to shoot different. Start low and work up.... good luck[8D]...Bull
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bull,

Thanks, I'll give that one a try too. I was actually very surprised to find out how well the really fast powders are working so far with the heavier bullets. -SW