In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

wolf ammo differences

ni haoni hao Member Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭
I was told the Wolf military 7.62x39 rounds are not as good as the Wolf classic rounds. Is this true and what is the difference? I suppose each would be ok for plinking. Thanks.

Comments

• ladamsladams Member Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I might be wrong but I thought the difference was that the classics were lacquer coated and the newer ones were graphite coated. I know there is sometimes a problem with the lacquer melting and fouling up actions in certain guns.
  • ni haoni hao Member Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is good information to know. Thank you for your help.
  • WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually they sometimes reverse that so always open a box from that batch to be sure if it matters to you.
    If ordering online email and ask.

Also some 223 is even boxer primed so technically it could be reloaded but expect it to ruin your dies or at least considerably shorten their useful life from the steel case

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I will call the company and ask them which type they have.
  • ladamsladams Member Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some people I know have reloaded the steel cases a few times. Seems to work ok on the graphite cases, but the lacquer cases jam a lot, both the reloading dies and the gun actions.
    edited November -1
    That is good to know. I do not want to gum up dies or guns. Thanks again for your help.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The older Wolf ammo had lacquer coated cases, the newer ammo is not graphite but polymer coated.

I have lots of the lacquer coated ammo and it is just fine for plinking, competition and hunting.
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all of you for your responses and help.
  • Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Wolf 7.62X39 ammo is loaded with a copper washed steel jacketed bullet...(even the hollow points) Not something you would want to shoot in a non-chrome lined barrel.
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member