In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Taurus PT 92, Bulged Primers

RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
A friend called me with the following problem so I can't provide pictures or a lot more for details, but if the problem sounds familiar I'd appreciate any comments or insights.
This is a 9 mm that had no problems when originally purchased, but which now is showing bulging primers. No reloads involved. It's doing this with a variety of military and commercial loads. Would a weakening mainspring cause this? Premature slide movement? What?
Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Sounds like the locking block might be worn or cracked, causing the barrel to unlock too soon. The recoil spring takes over after the slide is back. Is the brass bulged anywhere? I know Beretta had the problem.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dick,
    Sounds like the best bet will be my friends "plan B" after I assured him that I had no idea.
    Call the factory and send it back!
    ; - )
    Thanks,
    I'll everyone know what the outcome is.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A smooth "crater" around the firing pin indent is normal for Taurus because they are copied after Berettas which have a bevel around the firing pin hole.

A wider bulge across the primer is a sign of some problem.
  • Options
    scrubberguyscrubberguy Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It also depends on how old the Taurus is!

Ealy 92's and 99's had an issue with the firing pin hole. Taurus just used a big punch press and bang had a hole! This process left a "dent" around the fireing pin hole. Unfortunately a butt load of them got to the states with this issue!

Mine was inspected and I saw a article in Shooting times describing this problem, The primer looks like a classic case of way to much pressure All bulged and cratered but that's not the case!

I ran "pressure ring" checks with factory loads through all my 9's and they all had the same basic measurements!

I never bothered to send mine back but I suppose they'll change it for you under the "lifetime warranty"?

Let us know what you decide to do![8D]
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    My PT-99 has always done the same thing. After 30,000 rounds, it has not caused a problem or gotten any worse. I have a new PT-1911 and the fired brass looks about the same.