In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

257 weatherby vanguard

joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
Does anyone load for a 257 weatherby in a vanguard? How well does it shoot. Is the caliber known to be an accurate load? thanks,

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    joes,

Generally, I haven't found Weatherby's to be more accurate than their advertised 3 shots in a 1 1/2" group. That is pretty much with most bullet weights. I have one that is radically more accurate than that. But, only when I've loaded Nosler bullets for it. I found out by accident one day that my Sierra bullets were coming apart due to the long barrel(velocity or friction, not sure which or both) the Noslers having the thicker tougher jacket have held great accuracy. My two best loads have been 59 gr. of VV N150 behind an 85 gr. BT and 63.5 gr. of H4831sc(Extreme) behind a 115 BT. Both get sub .5 MOA @ 100 yds. and @ 300 yds. Everything else has been great big groups....like 6-11". But I know now that is because the bullets were coming apart.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Vanguard has the potential to be pretty accurate since most Howa rifle are. The shortfall of the Vanguard that I see is the 24" barrel as opposed to a 26". I had custom 257 WBy with a 27" and it gave much better velocity than a 24". Based on the idea that best accuracy is achieved by loading ammo with the bullet close to the rifling in the barrel, no factory chambered Wby is going to be as accurate as it might be. The reason is the freebored chamber. With about 1/4" of jump between the bullet and the beginning of the rifling that Roy designed into his rifles some of the potential accuracy is lost in the quest for speed. This is not saying that some Wby rifles are not accurate, but most aren't as accurate as they might be.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Speaking of the .257 Weatherby, I had a guy on Saturday, shoot two boxes and doesn't reload?? He gave me the brass. Some days are just luckier than other eh?
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some get all the good stuff. I never did have any 257 Wby brass but made all of mine from 264 Win Mag. It works but they are a little short. Definitely can't use the same loads as Wby brass.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mobuck,

What do you do then? Fireform with a light or heavy load then load normal?
  • Options
    bradking1bradking1 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a vanguard in 257 wby and it is a veritable tack driver. as have almost all the wby's i have owned (i did have an accumark in 30-378 that would not shoot better than 5" groups...threw it in the river). with that being the one exception i have never seen a vanguard, or mk V for that matter, that wouldn't shoot at least MOA if the shooter was doing what he is supposed to do. If you can't get a bee to shoot good with factory stuff then reload a little and all will come to fruition.