In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

SST and deer

skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
My son and I shoot our 1st deer on the last day of deer season, I shot 5 and he shot 3. We were shooting reloads with sst's, son a LH savage10 in 270wsm and I have a Abolt in 25wssm. All shots passed clean through deer. The farthest a deer went was about 40yds, that one my son shot broadside 120yds, missed the heart but went through both lungs. He also had a nice shot at 200 yrds through the heart. Nice wound channels in all deer.

I had one shot quartering toward me, the bullet went in frt left shoulder, through heart and rt lung. Exited the ribcage and then took her right rear leg off. I was on a hill shooting downwrd. I knew these expand fast but they must hold together fairly well to go through all that.

Son and I had a great time and learned how to clean deer.

Comments

• laogailaogai Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrats! especially being with your son.

I've deer hunted and reloaded about 25 years, east coast and midwest, shots from 10 yards to 300 yards, deer from 40 lbs to 340 lbs (meat locker scales), and i've settled on SSTs as well.

my daughter and son-in-law don't hunt, but I have hopes for my new grandson someday :-)
  • konamtbikerkonamtbiker Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow 8 deer! I only get to shoot 1 a year in Idaho unless i want to pay 400$ for a non resident tag. Where do i have to go to shoot 5?
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SST's are good bullets. Congrats on the deer. Some of us who grew up where deer are a little scarcer don't usually comprehend taking that many. Until you see all of them down in the fields eating alfalfa...[:D]
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by konamtbiker
    Wow 8 deer! I only get to shoot 1 a year in Idaho unless i want to pay 400$ for a non resident tag. Where do i have to go to shoot 5?

Come to MD and shoot 42 deer each season[8D]
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Iowa has an anterless only season in January, in some counties they have as many as 5500 tags available. In southern IA they have opened up rifle season for January only.

It has been fun getting back to hunting and reloading again, took a 15 year break after I graduated high school. Never shot anything bigger than a prarie dog before. Best part son and I are having a great time.