In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading the 30-06 for accuracy

Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
I recently purchased a Savage 30-06 and I want to give reloading a try...It has a 22in barrel with a 1-10 twist.

I'm new to the '06 in general...From an accuracy standpoint, is it a good rule of thumb to go with the lighter, higher velocity, bullets like the 125gr or a heavier load?

Thanks for any imput

Comments

• Options
    konamtbikerkonamtbiker Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In most cases rifles will shoot their best at a few grains lower than max loads. That is what i have come to find out with my rifles i load for. Accompanied with larger grain bullet weights. In the 30-06 i would recommend bullet weigts from 150-180s. Powders i would try are IMR4350.RL19 for lighter weight bullets 150-170. And RL22,N165,AA3100 for heavier bullets such as 180 and up. I think the best way to start would be to go to the hunting store and buy some ammo ranging in bullet weights from 150-180. Shoot that ammo as you break in your barrel. See what bullet weight shoots the best. Then go with that weight of bullet. Then find out how fast the bullet was moving. Then pick a powder in your reloading book that matches the velocities of the factory ammo.

Good hunting.
  • Options
    ladamsladams Member Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 06's really love the 150-180 grain bullets pushed by Alliant RX-22. Great accuracy, great velocity, and the recoil is not too stiff. For long distance shooting try NOsler Ballistic Tips in 165 or 180 grain....The 165s damage way more meat though if your thinking hunting use.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Right now I'm not punching holes in anything but paper
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Well you never know. In theory a 1 in 10 twist should do well with the listed weights but I have one that never did and I tried some 110 gr spire points... and shot a ragged 1 hole group. So there is theory and then there is practice; you can make a good guess but don't rule out anything within reason until you try it.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try a 168 Sierria Match king pushed by 46-48 grains of 4895 lit by a federal primer in good cases of the same headstamp. This has been my go to accuracy load for 30-06's for 32 years.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rack Ops,

Generally speaking, heavier bullets buck wind better and if they are twisted properly tend to be accurate at longer distances. As well they can be as accurate at short distances as the lighter bullets. If you have good success with the 110's then you should see how far out they shoot accurately, and how they shoot in wind. You will find that the Heavier bullets moving less in the wind are easier to call shots for on longer ranges.

That said, one of my favorite loads for the 30-06 and accuracy is a 190 Berger VLD or a 190 SMK. In front of 52 grs. of VV N160 and working up. Generally I've found that you hit a spot where accuracy max's out and as speed then increases with increased loads accuracy suffers. The 1-10" twist you have will stabilize up to 220 gr. bullets. Making it a prime candidate for using my favorite bullet in .300 WM., the .208 gr. Hornady A-Max. Don't expect phenomenal velocities, but you can expect outstanding results. H4831sc(ext.) works well here too with heavier bullets. As does H4350(ext) with moderate weight bullets like the 175 gr. SMK. H1000 and IMR7828 work with very heavy bullets.
  • Options
    deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    my '06 just "luvs" 150 gr pills in front of 50 grs of WW748,try it
  • Options
    mike992mike992 Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Savage 110 in 06 and it shoots 125 grain speer tnt hp better than anyother bullet out thier no matter what powder is pushing it 3031,4895,4350,or varget. With a good rest the bullets will all touch at a 100 yards no BS.
  • Options
    MikeinMikein Member Posts: 106 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    RacOps,

Over the years, with 3 different models of 30-06, I found that the heavier bullet weights did better. From 150 grains up to, and including the 220 grain round nose, they all performed better, from an accuracy standpoint, than the lighter ones. I have even tried the Accelerators which are occasionally built by Remington. Impressive velocity; unimpressive accuracy. So, I suggest that if you're chasing accuracy, start with the 150's and work your way up to the weight/velocity/accuracy combo that your particular fiream seems to like. My current '06 is a Ruger #1, and it likes to eat 165 gr. Nosler SBBT's, pushed by 49 grains of H4895. Gives me an MV of 2700fps.

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I never thought there would be so much variance between rifles....thanks for the help guys!