In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

25 06 cutting into bullets

joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
I load 25 06 which are necked down 30 06, and what I find that they cut into the copper bullet as I seat them leaving (sometimes) coper slivers of metal on the edges. Am I doing something wrong or should the cases be inside neck turned? thanks, Joe

Comments

• Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The neck is probably a little too thick but the thickness will only be evident on the outside as the expander ball will control the inside diameter. My guess is that you may have to chamfer the inside radius a little more. Some very small shavings are no big worry. Try also wiggling the handle of the press a little as you seat the bullet. Not Kidding, works for me.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    joes,

+1 on what B17-P51 said. Chamfer the mouths of the cases and that problem will go away.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With that much reduction of neck size you should be doing something to thin/even up the neck thickness. Does a bullet slide easily into a fired case? If not you're in dangerous territory. Accuracy will be affected if some of the necks get thicker on one side than the other.
  • Options
    konamtbikerkonamtbiker Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to have the same problem. I use the Lyman VLD tool. This will put an end to your problem.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=342199&t=11082005
  • Options
    Jim the PA HunterJim the PA Hunter Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The VLD tool is a good idea! ALSO you MUST be thinning those necks! Some turn the outside of the necks but it is a more difficult task than reaming the inside of the necks after forming from 30 cal to 25 cal. RCBS makes a case form/reamer die that really does the trick. 270win cases will not require reaming if you can find 270s to use instead of '06s. Get the VLD tool and chamfer the inside of the case mouth also.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So how well are they grouping now? One more trick. Seat the bullet half way, lower ram, rotate the case 180 deg., then finish seating bullet.
  • Options
    jtmarine0831jtmarine0831 Member Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on what everyone has said so far. The VLD chamfer tool works great and I would also recommend neck reaming if the neck is too thick. I had a truck load of 30-06 brass awhile back and no '06, so I saved some back and the rest I sized down to 308Win. And what would you know, the neck was way too thick. I stashed the project for a while and borrowed a buddies neck reamer and tried a few cases and was very pleased to have found a fix. I still ended up stowing the project because of lack of funds, but should be bring it back to the table here soon. If you have a ball micrometer or a case neck micrometer you can compare your sized down brass to factory brass for an idea of the extra thickness. Good Luck with finding a solution to your issue.

Jeremy
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on Mobuck's comment. If a new bullet slips easily into the neck of brass after firing (I'd check several, not just 1) then I wouldn't worry about neck thickness. If it's a snug fit, then, yes, look at various options for removing metal either from the inside or outside of neck. Benchresters will argue for one over the other; if this is a hunting rifle I don't think it matters, so long as you get them properly thin.
  • Options
    Jim the PA HunterJim the PA Hunter Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 More..... that's the nice thing about the RCBS form and ream die. Once you run your '06 or 270 brass into it, the reamer will 'tell' you if the neck is too thick or not without spending the time to 'mic' them all. If you 'feel' the reamer cutting brass then it was too thick. I found that the reamer does not cut any brass from the inside of the necks when I use 270 brass. It does cut when using '06 brass and it cuts heavy when using '06 military brass.

After using the form/ream die, I FL resize them and trim to length.
    I've never had a problem with this method.[:D]