In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Blue DOT What to use it for?

DENWADENWA Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
I bought this powder by accident. I intended to get a pound of unique!

What good is this powder for any of the following

45 auto,
9mm,
357Mag or 38 spl.

Can it be used in rifle? Maybe 223? or something?

thanks

Comments

• Options
    dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can use the Blue Dot in all of those pistol calibers. In 9mm and 357 Mag. it works best with 110 to 125 gr. bullets. Check out the Alliant website for data.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/RecipeList.aspx?gauge=&gtypeid=1&title=Pistols and Revolvers

Tim
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Use it in your pistol calibers, it is a little slower that Unique.
    DO NOT use it for rifle calibers!
  • Options
    ladamsladams Member Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used it in .357 rounds. Seems to shoot fine. Burns a little dirty though, but most magnum shotgun powders do.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't see any loads for 45 acp with cast lead?

Anyone try these?

Is there any danger of using Blue dot with cast lead?
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Denwa Many powders can be used in 45ACP however I for one would stick with the recommended charge loads and recommended powders by the company that makes the powder . Your question is there any danger in using Blue Dot . The ANSWER IS YES just like all powders in pistol cartridges you can quickly get into trouble with just a slight increase in charge weight. For the most part pistol powders and those designed for Shotgun the DOT POWDERS "RED, GREEN, BLUE" can be loaded with reduced loads with out any problems . If you have a CHRONOGRAPH and start very low 3.5 Grains of powder you could load lead loads with ANY powder because that is a very light load with the fastest powders available to the reloader. You can then work up with loads and watch for pressure signs when you get up to 800 + FPS . Most reloading manuals want to list combat loads for 45ACP but target shooters like velocity in the 800 FPS range + or - 50 FPS. I have loaded over 300,000 rounds of 45ACP but by far most has been with Bulls-Eye powder some with 231 ,452AA, VV310 and tested with many others I have a Ransom Rest and load for group size within a Velocity range. Hope this will help ."PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are many useful loads for Blue Dot. It is a great powder for the 357 mag with 125 grain bullets. I just loaded 500 full charge loads last night with Blue dot. It is listed in the Lyman book with cast bullets for most bullet weights. you can get over 1000 FPS using Blue Dot and cast bullets in the 45ACP.

Another nice thing about Blue Dot is the speed (MV) you get for the charge weights used. It does not give much MV up with top loads to the speediest (MV) powders listed.

If I were you I would use Blue Dot in the .357 mag and the 45ACP with top loads used for long range shooting, hunting and defense.

PS: I buy it five pounds at a time for exclusive use in pistol loads.
  • Options
    popgunpopgun Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's been over 20 years, but I used to use Blue Dot exclusively for loading .44 Mag shells. I vaguely remember it being THE powder for magnum loads back then.

Worked just fine with cast lead, and I got well over 1,000 fps velocity with Blue Dot.

It's a very good powder for pistol loads.
  • Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great in .357Mag...44Mag...44-40...The fact you have to ask is somewhat scary...Do you own any reloading manuals? Have you ever searched the internet for the powder or load data for your projects?
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    edited November -1
    None of my manuals list Blue DOT for any of the pistols I own.

Considering that I mostly load cast lead "Magnum" powder doesn't do me much good.

I almost exclusively use Unique or Bullseye for my pistols...

I guess I need to try to look for a cast lead manual or something.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Try Lyman's manual. It shows 7.5-10.7gr Blue Dot for 225gr.lead.
    And loads for 9mm.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DENWA
    None of my manuals list Blue DOT for any of the pistols I own.

Considering that I mostly load cast lead "Magnum" powder doesn't do me much good.

I almost exclusively use Unique or Bullseye for my pistols...

I guess I need to try to look for a cast lead manual or something.

DENWA The LYMAN cast bullet handbook has a load for Blue Dot for every bullet weight in the 45 ACP and most of the .357's too. Also; you can get loading information from the manufacturer. There is nothing wrong with Blue Dot in your lead loads.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Just to add- you CAN use it in rifles, but it will be a very small charge; good for plinkers in bolt actions especially. I often use Red Dot, 2400, Unique, etc. in my bolt guns with cast bullets.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks!

I need to find a Lyman Manual.

cool!
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Blue dot is excellent in the .41 magnum with lead cast bullets giving velocities from 1200 to 1500+ fps with ease. It is like Unique though, in that unless you get the pressure up it is very dirty. I have been using it in the 41 for years but only using hard cast bullets and velocities over 1000 fps. It is one of those powders that seem to give good velocity without the punishing recoil of some others. I have never used Blue Dot in any other caliber, so I can't speak to the ones you listed.