In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading 270 Win

sfettysfetty Member Posts: 349 ✭✭✭
What all do I need to reload 270 Win ammo? I don't want a progressive reloader. Just enough equipment to reload 100/200 quality rounds per year.

Comments

• Options
    gunsbluedoggunsbluedog Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    go to MIDWAYUSA.COM look at the lee loading sets. (press, dies, powder scales) most of what you need for under a $100.00
  • Options
    flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Widener's is cheaper than Midway. The drawback is that they don't have as large an inventory or have things is stock as much as Midway.
    http://www.wideners.com/

I got my press kit and dies from Widener's shipped for what Midway was asking. I didn't have to pay sales tax like I would have for Midway either.
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not a master reloader, but I would go with a kit, RCBS or Hornady are my favorite. I would probably go with a RCBS kit and the Hornady dies and I think you'll be happy, at some point you'll have to get a case trimmer. I use a Lyman trimmer but not real happy with it, but their press is as good as the previous two I mentioned. But that is just my opinion. Also I find you tend to shoot a little more when you reload, at least I do.
  • Options
    laogailaogai Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    press, die set, brass, primers, load book, powder, scale, bullets

2nd hand equipment fine

can use hodgdon and other websites and save the cost of load book
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sfetty,

Two ways to go here. Flyingtorpedo and skyfish advocate getting a kit. I would advocate that as well if you plan to keep up reloading. However, if you only maintain 100-200 rds per year it will take 2 1/2 ys to pay for itself. That's a $250 master kit. You can find kits for less. And you won't need a heavy kit if you only plan on loading for the .270 at that many rounds. Lee has kits in the $100-$175 range that will do for light reloading duties.

The other option as laoqui pointed out is to piecemeal pick the equipment up second hand. You can find stuff on FL&@bay, HERE on GB, AA, and 6MMBR. Also, at all the internet sales sites. I have to say I go to Graf's and Wideners before I go to Midway. But, I still buy from Midway as they have a ton of stuff on hand that no one else even lists. Brownells has a lot of stuff too but they are ususally on the upper end of cost on most everything.