In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Wanting to reload

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
Hello all,
I am wanting to start reloading pistol/rifle. I have a progressive press (most likely will buy sigle stage for begining) I have a micrometer, scale (not digital) powder measure, case mouth reamer, and some small stuff.

I need a case trimmer, vibratory cleaner, and a digital scale. I have a couple reloading books.

What do I need besides powder/primers/bullets. Remember I am new to this with very limited knowledge of reloading.

Appreciate the help.

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would buy the lee autoprime tool,..it is very simple. Get the shellholder kit too.

you'll need dies for each chambering you want to reload.

I like to have a OAL tool (I use the sinclair) so I can find the length to the lands for every rifle. This way I know how close I am and move small amounts at a time.

A comparator is nice to have as well to be used with the OAL tool.

A headspace tool (I use stoney point "head and shoulders") can help to precisely set the dies for sizing without bumping the shoulder, to just bump the shoulder, or to PFL size which draws the shoulder fwd by a few .001"s.

Some of this is getting into the precision stuff,....but really gives an education as to what you are doing with each step.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    freemind,

Of the three things on your list I would only get the first two. A good balance-beam scale will do everything a digital will. Depending on the temperature where you reload maybe even more accurately.

That said I think you could safely start to load pistol on your progressive press. Just remember to put yourself in a position where you can inspect each step often. That's true whether you are new or experienced. You don't want a powder charge sending a round half way down the barrel and the next round blows up your gun...and part of your hand. Make sure each case is powdered!

For rifle reloading, I would definitely start with a single stage press. Make sure to inspect according to your books at each step. Again the biggest thing that can happen is to send a round halfway down the barrel and hit it with the following round. Set the powder measure to half a grain under where you want and then also get a powder trickler and fill the load up to weight on the scale,and then use a funnel to put it in each case. This is important for rifle loading but not as important for pistol loading. A variation causes by a light or heavy load thrown from the powder measure can cause you vertical change of significance as close as 200 yds. In a pistol a variation of 100 fps won't matter until past 25m. Most pistols aren't shot that far. This also doubles as an inspection for powder that stays up in the drop tube and wants to come down in the next case. That can ruin your day as it can make a really hot charge.
    Also choose your loads carefully and work up. Some cartridges have almost been ruined by the lawyers making sure they don't get enough pressure to blow up an old rifle(1 of 50 million?). That's true of almost every Mauser based case. But you still work up from a safe point and watch for pressure signs. If you have some old data that shows higher than new data, you can work up to it. But that is why they say WORK up to it. It may build pressure in your rifle faster than the old book. Tighter specs ya know.

EDIT:

I'll second what Highball said about getting with an experienced reloader. Just a lot of things you can learn the "hows and whys" to when you see it and do it first hand. You can read and read what a process feels like...but your hand is going to have to know it. Under someone's eye who has done it before is a good way to start.

As for the digital scales I will say that they aren't necessary right now. Not that you shouldn't buy one down the road. My issue with one is more about where I reload. I got the un-insulated/unheated garage here in Minnesota as my space. The digital scale I borrowed from a friend didn't work very well while trying to reload at -7. 'Course my fingers weren't doing so hot either. If you can afford it. Give it a try.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Freemind;

If possible, get with an experienced reloader for a few hours. You will learn much getting your hands into it under the watchful eyes of someone with 'trigger time'.

That being said...please READ everything you can get your hands on. There are MANY reloaders out there that carefully reloaded for a week...then repeated that 'experience' for the next twenty years. They have learned nothing new, since.

I believe that a good digital scale is a good investment. You still check the scale with the balance beam..but most of the work can be done nicely much faster.
    I have read the arguments that have raged here and in other places over the electronic units..and they are good enough for my uses.

1/2 inches at 100 yards will suit me fine, thank you kindly.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all for the replies.
    I am going to gander mountain tomorrow to pick up more manuals.

Where are the best places (economical) to shop for equiptment?

I have midway and natchez.
  • Options
    flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.wideners.com/
    They have good prices, although they don't have nearly as much stuff as midway. They are out of things alot more than midway too but hey what do you expect with good prices. They are really nice people to deal with too.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Update:

Bought a Lyman case trimmer and pilets. This is the type which takes the shell holders. Since I am going to buy a Lee single stage package, I should be able to use them (shell holders) in the case trimmer and the hand primer tool.

Next Vibratory cleaner and Lee press.

P.S. The Horneday book (2nd edition) was 55 smackers at gander. I want one, just not that bad.
  • Options
    konamtbikerkonamtbiker Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try to find a person who can teach you the basics. Once you know the basics you can really start to get more technical in a safe way. I think this will help you out the most. I cant think of one hand loader that doesn't want to show off his hobby and bench to a beginner. I know i like showing off my reloading set up.