In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

crimped primers?

mike992mike992 Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
I have a bunch of once fired brass, mostly Lake City. Whats the best way to take out the crimped primers,and also can I install new primers in without removing the crimp?I have a rcbs decapping die and the tip keeps breaking. Also my lee sizing die has trouble with them.Any help will be great than

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    My RCBS die takes the crimped primers OK. Make sure the decapping pin is centered and tight, and push easy. Once they are out you have to use a primer pocket reamer or swager before you can reprime.
    Are you full lenght sizing with the Lee die? If you are, what are you using for lube?
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I load thousands of LC 223 brass a year with Dillon and RCBS dies without problems. Make sure your decapping pin is tight. Are you using good lube? Make sure you have your die is set correctly. Once out you will need to take out the crimp. The RCBS primer pocket swager is pretty inexspensive and works well. I use a Dillon super swager as I use a lot of brass. Reaming pockets is another option but in my opinion is easy to mess up and your primer pockets can get loose faster.
  • Options
    ww2buff9067ww2buff9067 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot and load both LC and HXP brass for my M1, and I just use the RCBS case mouth reamer to clean up the primer pockets. Works pretty well.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've just finished sizing about 5000 5.56 cases with crimped primers using Lee dies w/o a problem. Only had 5-6 that popped the center out leaving the outside rim of the primer in the case.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    mike992...I am assuming you have the RCBS decapping die...it just pushs out the primer...it does not size the case. I use that same tool. First make sure the pin is centered then make sure everything is tight...the pin in the rod and the rod in the die. Then when you deprime go a little slow...don't just run the case up...slow down before making contact with the primer and then go a little slow pushing the primer out. Never had a problem with this approach and I haven't broken a pin yet. Yes you will need to decrimp the case before using. I use the the RCBS decrimping tool, it works great.
  • Options
    mike992mike992 Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the help. I went slow and steady and didn't have a problem.Thanks Mike
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shouldn't have posted yesterday. Last night I encountered a couple of cases with seriously undersize flash holes. The Lee decap pins are press fit into the expander rod and guess what. The pin stuck in the flash hole and pulled out of the rod. Fortunately, I have a back up set and finished the project but now I have to send the parts back. Sometimes I wonder how the 5.56 weapons can function at all with some many variables in rim thickness and case length I find in once fired military brass.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    That is why 5.56mm chambers are so loose [;)]