In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

trouble adjusting scope

tobufftobuff Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
Hi guys, I am a newbie to the sniper rifle. I just a rifle with the scope. The problem is...I aciidentally turn the MOA many turns without remembering how many turns I have make. So right now, I just don't know how to bring it to center, so that I can count the coreect numbers of clicks again.

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gently (don't force it) turn the adjusting screw all the way in one direction. Now turn it in the other direction and count the number of turns it takes to get there. Divide that # by 2, and turn in the first direction by that much. That will be the center position for that screw.

As a alternitive methiod, you could fire a 100yd or meter test group and adjust from there. 1" or 25mm = 1 MOA at 100. Example: If your group is off the aiming point be 6" (150mm) than adjust the scope 6 MOA in the required direction.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tobuff,

I would start by boresighting it.
  • Options
    tobufftobuff Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Boresighting!!!! any good ways to do it?...i mean...i am not sure of how to do it correctly.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    If it's a bolt gun pull the bolt, and sight down the bore to center on a target 25 yards away.
    That will get you started if you don't own a bore sighter....
  • Options
    rugerno_1rugerno_1 Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sawat De Kup Tobuff,
    If you would feel more comfortable in the explanation of how to bore sight your rifle in the Thai language, I will help you. Let me know and I will email you the directions.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Turning the screw all the way in..then running it back all the way out WILL give you the 'center of screw'.

It will NOT necessarily tell you the center of adjustment of the reticle.

You do not really need the scope 'centered', I assume..unless you are mounting it for the first time.

Bore sight it as mentioned..put the rifle in something that will hold it absolutely steady. Pull the bolt..a bolt gun is about all you can do this trick with.
    Center a bullseye or something prominent in the bore..100 yards is better.Without touching the rifle, run the adjustment screws till reticle lines up with same bull.

Fire rifle at 25 yards to zero...then move to 100 yards.

If you have a good scope, you then can run screw to the bottom, counting clicks..then write on your range card the number back to center.
    Firing a couple shots will also at this point confirm that the scope follows adjustments.

You can 'optically center' a scope by taking the top rings off, and rotating the scope. Run the adjustments till the crosshairs no longer swing in a ellipse, as the scope is rotated.