In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

aquila lead shot nickel plated?

bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
broke out a bag of lead imported from italy for stoeger i bought eons ago. poured it out and it looks like little chrome balls in #7 1/2! bag says nickel plated lead shot. am i ok to use this in old bbls? its not gonna scratch anything is it?
Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Former NSSA All American
Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
MO, CT, VA.

Comments

• geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    This was very popular in the 1960's from Winchester Italy.

As I recall it loads the same as lead. Was used as the premo shell for the rich Euro types (figures, you prob. got it for free). Came in a Blue hull with a steel base from Winchester, don't remember how the shot itself came.

Side Bar: Love that you have to reload like the rest of us, but you give away your age asking for 700X, red dot, 2400 (that's what I use also until I run out, or die first). There's this "new" powder called "Clays" that you may wish to look into, only been around for about 10 years.

Thanks for all your help in the past on many subjects. Best of luck in loading this shot. If you don't want to use it let me know if you want to sell it (for the purchased price of course)
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    heck, ive been reloading since 452aa powder was around!
    i think the trick today is getting the same pressures with less powder, but it throws all my wads and crimp off. i prefer to stay tooled for the old stuff. but if clays will do the same thing for less money, i might reconsider.

same as lead...ok! in it goes for 250 more 12ga loads. thanks![:)]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    nickel plated shoot "kills" better than lead

I don't know the science but i have seen the difference

two different pheasants both shot from behind while flushing about 30yds I was using lead shot. during cleaning I noticed the bb's barely made it into the body cavity and the one that did had pluked feathers and pull them into the meat.
    My hunting buddy shot the second bird and @ cleaning the birds feathers where significantly more sliced up the bb's sliced throw them like razor blades rather than plucking them and pulling them into the meat. I was amazed at the difference a lot more of the bb's made way into the body cavity as well.

I use only nickel shot when turkey hunting
  • XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both nickel and copper plated shot offer the advantage of being "Slippery". That is to say they don't drag feathers or down into the wound channel. Shot penetration is deeper and bleed-out quicker. (a real plus when you could hunt waterfoul with lead shot) Plated shot also retains it's shape better than straight lead, thus providing more consistent patterns and higher pattern density. (and yes, it's safe to use in any shotgun barrel)
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by XXCross
    Both nickel and copper plated shot offer the advantage of being "Slippery". That is to say they don't drag feathers or down into the wound channel. Shot penetration is deeper and bleed-out quicker. (a real plus when you could hunt waterfoul with lead shot) Plated shot also retains it's shape better than straight lead, thus providing more consistent patterns and higher pattern density. (and yes, it's safe to use in any shotgun barrel)

Speaking of duck hunting with plated shot.

I recently started to reclaim shot from the fall zone out @ the gun club and noticed that there is alot of nickel and cooper plated shot. And it looks just as new as the day it was loaded.

I wonder if they even test cooper and nickel plated shot to see if it was safe to use for waterfowl??
    edited November -1
    Odawgp: Re plated shot. It's the same as straight lead as far as "they" are concerned. The waterfoul that injest the pellets of lead grind away the copper/nickel in the digestive process. It's just as toxic.
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    is this nickel as expensive or more than basic lead shot per bag?
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
    edited November -1
    Cost per pound runs at least double the cost of straight lead.
    Back when Winchester was loading Lubaloy, I wouldn't shoot anything else.