In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hi Standard

UncleFuddUncleFudd Member Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
Hey guys;

A few years ago the word was that Hi Standard was going to begin making guns once again.
Do any of you know whether it ever happened or was it another of those rumors we all like to think might really happen.
Among the pistols considered a "favorite" the HiStds would certainly be uppermost among them.

I just wondered as I have heard absolutely nothing for a long time and have been unable to get answers.

Thanks in advance.

UF

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    UncleFudd,

As of a few years ago Hi(gh) Standard was producing pistols in Houston, TX. I have not followed closely enough to know if they still are. Will post back...

It appears they are still in business. This is their link:
    http://www.highstandard.com/

Remember this is a new company setting it's sights on the original High Standards quality goals. Some tell they meet them, others tell me they don't. The best thing to do is contact them for your needs.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The good news is the quality of todays guns are better then the First Texas built pistols . The big problem at first were the magazines shipped with the Texas built pistols were CRAP. I still think the OLDER PISTOLS made in Conn. were better and they are available on the used gun market here on Gunbroker as well as gun shows etc.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info.

I am going to contact them first of the week and will try to let everyone know what I find out.
    It is always interesting to me that of all the pistols that come into my range for sale or trade, I hardly ever see a used HS. People must hang on to them (which speaks well) but I watch for them all the time as well as for specific others such as ANY mod 700 Rems. but I very seldom see any.

Perry shooter are you saying you think the new pistols, mags are not made well? I'm easily confused I guess, but it sounded to me like the new pistols are made in Tx and that you are saying the mags that are currently made for them are no good.

Correct me or enlighten if you have a minute.

The HS pistols to me have always been a cut above, so I am interested in the new line.
    I did not know whether they had ever gone into production as per the rumore ie; my original question.

I am anxious to see what they have to say and which models are being produced.

Later

UF
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of my fellow bullseye shooters here in gunni, bought a new one a yr ago. He has had problems with it not extracting since day one. it has been back to TX twice and both times it cames back and worked for about 2 matches then started to FTE again. overall he is pleased with it, but he has to run a alibi string once or a match. It is one its way back a third time as I type
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might check out Mitchell Arms as well? (Not sure if they're the Texas group or not. This is a complex are; H.S. went from Hamden to Hartford, died, and then, I believe, has had at least 2 resurrections since. The best are great, the worst, a horror show, so gather all the info you can.
  • Options
    swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stoeger Industries resurrected the High Standard pistol with their PRO-SERIES 95. They made 3 different models, each had a different style barrel but all were interchangeable. I have one that I bought new, could not fathom a guess as to how many rounds I've put through it. It has only failed with one type of ammo; it was some Russian ammo that was high speed, otherwise never a glitch. I wish I had bought 100 pistols at the time I bought this one. I have seen them listed here on GB selling for 300% of what I paid for mine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    swearengine;

How long ago did you buy yours/
    Is it one of the new ones made in Tx? I guess the better question is it one of the newer guns made after HS went out of business?
    Thanks

UF
  • Options
    swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    UncleFudd,

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, I hadn't checked this thread until now. Yes, it is made in TX. AIMCO.INC. Houston, Texas. It was marketed by Stoeger Industries in Wayne, New Jersey.
    The three barrels were a slab sided target barrel with a ventilated rib/sight rail, a bull barrel and a sporter barrel. The target barrel also is drilled and tapped underneath for the addition of barrel weights. The only finish is stainless. The grips are black Pachmaur, Signature model.

I bought this pistol in when they were first out. I read about it in the magazine "Handguns" and it was the issue where they showcased all the new handguns for the year. I believe it was approximately 10 years ago. I might be mistaken on the time frame but I believe it is the newest incarnation of the High Standard.

If you have any other questions, give me a holler.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thats it, thats it.

That is when I first heard they were goint to begin making them again.
    Then due to business pressures I forgot until recently and the reason for my post.

I have gotten some great info in PM as well so am going to find out what they are now doing.
    I really liked some of their old models and I want to see which ones they are making and then go from there.

Depending, I may just hold out for one of the old models and pay the price accordingly.

Thanks guys, I really appereciate the help.

Kenny
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.ktpguns.com/interior.php/pid/28

Here's a few used ones you might find interesting.
  • Options
    Dumpster BabyDumpster Baby Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's my little toy - HD Military from the late 1940's or early 1950's:

high%20standard%20mod%20hd%20military-03.jpghigh%20standard%20mod%20hd%20military-01.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all who have shared your pictures.
    I have seen a lot of HS over the years and been able to shoot a fair share of them.
    I believe I now have seen thanks to one of the members, one of the finest collections of Hi Standards that I have ever seen.
    For those who have not had the experience, I personally believe them to be one of the finest 22 rimfires ever made.
    I have owned the mod 41s Rugers, Buckmarks and een a Hammerli and they are wonderful also.
    But there is something about "some" of the models of the Hi Standards that are just a cut above, IMHO.

As I have said, I want to get one or more and after Rob gave me the web site, I have decided to wait and shop and get one of the original models when I find the one(s) I want.
    There were a lot of them ade and they are still out there and do not raise as much as one might expect for the older guns or collectors although the price is going up and they are now becomming harder to find.
    But I have time and will let you know if I find the one I want.
    If any of you come across any specific sales, please feel free to PM me or post it here.

Thansk again for all the help. MOre pics would be nice also.

Kenny
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    email me. you want to see high standards?[8D]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.