In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anyone Shooting the 9mm Star BM Pistol

03lover03lover Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
ANYONE SHOOTING THE 9mm STAR BM PISTOL

Do any of you shoot this nice little pistol and what loads do you find work best. I am not sure just what I should expect in the way of accuracy with this pistol. I have not had any experience with one other than what I have tried.

I purchased one of the 9mm Star BM pistols when the price was $135.00. This pistol is in very good condition, reasonably tight and has a great bore.

I am looking for some loads that will shoot well. That means the load will have to cycle the pistol well without beating it up and be fairly accurate.

I have tried an 115gr. FMJ bullet with 5.1gr. of Win. 231 and this load will occasionally fail to fully cycle the pistol, it will not always eject the empty and then tries to load another round causing a jam. Short cycle.

Using 5.5gr. of Win. 231 eliminated the short cycle problem and shoots fairly well, holding the 3" black on a 50ft. pistol target at 50ft. with a two hand hold off a bench.

I have a good quantity of 115gr. FMJ Winchester bullets and 147gr. JHP Remington and (400) each of 124gr. HP/XTP Hornady 115gr.FMJ Hornady Bullets to work with.

Any suggestions or your favorite loads will be appreciated.

Bill

Comments

• swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not reload for my STAR. I have only shot factory ammo through mine. It is very tight and very accurate. Mine will shoot the 3" bull consistently at 20 yards, one handed, off-hand, no rest. My brother-in-law has 3 of them. All equally capable. My father-in-law has two. Same story.
    As you state you have a ready supply of components. If it were not for that fact, I would stick with factory loads. For concealed carry, as that is what I use mine for, I recommend factory loadings.
  • dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a very similar Star, Starlite BKM, aluminum frame and chrome slide. I have shot a couple thousand rounds thru it maybe 500 factory loads and the rest reloads. Cast bullets from 120 gr. to 145 grains. 115 and 125 grain JHP's and 115 FMJ's I am currently using 129 gr LRN with 4.3 gr. of Red Dot at 1160 fps for practice and 115 gr Gold Dot JHP with 5.6 gr. of Unique at 1170 fps. These should be considered Maximum loads and approached with caution. Use good loading practices and start with lower powder charges. The LRN's and Gold Dots feed fine and the pistol cycles well with full charges. I can't seem to clean the 6 plate rack at 25 yarts with one mag of ammo but I don't think it is the gun I think it is me.

bkm
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one - never had a failure of any kind with a wide assortment of cheap FMJ ammo. Shoots ot point of aim at 25yds and groups are about 4 inches with a two hand hold off samd bags - I have no complaint.