In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Accurate 45 APC loads

I just bought a new Taurus PT 1911 and would like a good accurate target load for the 230 cast RN. I have lots of experience with 38 caliber stuff and use a lot of bullseye and unique powder. Any suggestions to start with from perryshooter?

Comments

• Options
    UncleFuddUncleFudd Member Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gravly;

I have not used cast bullets, but loading either the 230 or 200 gr RN, jacketed bullets I have used 5.1 gr of 231 for many years and it functions every gun I have in both 70 and 80 series. May be more to it with the cast, but for my use this has been a load that does not beat me or my gun unmercifully with each trigger pull.

Good luck.

Kenny
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello For the most part I will give you some suggestions. Each and every pistol will have a load/loads it shoot the best.If you shoot lead loads. IMHO easier on the gun and shooter Then I would have a powder charge that is 800 FPS + or - 50FPS You need to disassemble the pistol and match your ammo to the chamber for best results . This can be done quite quickly seat a bullet in an empty case No primer or powder taper crimp the mouth to .469 now by adjusting OAL of your bullet try to get the round to chamber about .005 - .010 past flush from the head of case to the back edge of the barrel hood.Adjust your dies until you get this OAL. I like the H&G 200 grain Bevel Base Semi Wad Cutter design these feed well in most guns. but other designs will also work the Norma 185 grain jacketed hollow point cone nose is a very good bullet. Now we come to powder charge. IMHO almost any fast powder will work well I like Bulls-Eye WW231. WW452AA V.V. 310 & 320 but most any will do . How do you find a load ?? again you need to match the load to the gun . I use a RANSOM REST and vary powder charge to get the best groups. Then I adjust the recoil spring to match this powder charge. What you want to have happen is for the pistol to fully cycle with the slide just kissing the frame under recoil. . The spring weight and how hard the shooter holds the pistol will mandate how your load works . With a good load that you tested start with one round in the magazine and a normal spring fire this round If the slide does not lock back you will need to install a lighter weight spring . If the slide does stay back then as a test install a heavier spring. repeat until the slide does not stay back and then go back one step Brownells' and Wilson sells spring KITS. . I would start with 4.0 Grains of Powder Bulls-Eye or other fast powder and go from that point > Feel Free to contact me on my profile. "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • Options
    gravleygravley Member Posts: 79
    edited November -1
    Thanks to both of you on your responses. I would not have thought of the spring changes unless the gun failed to cycle on a reasonable load AKA 800 fps +/.
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gravley I just found an older post That may save time for you. I know all the respones helped me reloader44mag.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    I use unique and 230 lead. You can start out with 5.5 grains...I think 6.5 grains is max. I use 6 grains.
  • Options
    konamtbikerkonamtbiker Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For my 1911-45acp i use 5.7gr or Unique behind a 230gr XTP Hornady. Works great for me
  • Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just shot qualifications using 6.3gr WSF, 200gr H&G68. I like it better than my old 231 load...
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member