In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Pet 30 cal load

UncleFuddUncleFudd Member Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
Hey guys.

I have not loaded 30 cal rounds for many years but I have some sons who would like to do so.

In particular, they want to make up some pet loads for bolt action and M14 in 308 using Vmax 110 gr bullets.
These will be used for prairie dogs almost exclusively and my thought is to have them try some medium velocity loads to begin with and to see how their guns work with the lighter bullets.

These 110 gr should be better for shooting 150 to 250 rounds per day and if they keep them in the 3000 to 3400 FPS range will not beat them up quite so badly.

Do any of you have specific powders and loads to accomplish something similar or am I barking up the wrong tree for the 308 round and light weight bullets?

I would appreciate your ideas and help with loads you may have already proven.

BTW, the one boy is no lightweight but shot his gun for the first time a few days ago, basically to sight in and then a few extra rounds for familiarity. Heh was shooting the 168 gr factory loads and he knows that is not the bullet weight he wants to spend several days shooting.

Thanks in advance

Kenny

Comments