In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

sighting in new gun.

I am going to be sighting in a new gun.a 300 weatherby mag. I am using reloaded rounds that are loaded in 5 grain incruments(155-160-165)so do I sight it in with one load size?Or shoot a few of each or what?I think I'll be shooting from a good bench so that will be a true first so i want to get some good advise forst.

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The first thing to do is find out which loading your rifle prefers (groups best), than once that is established you move on to zeroing your scope.
    I'd advise taking some "sighters" (factory ammo) along on the first trip, just to make sure that your on paper for the "group" testing phase.

By those increments, it sounds like your talking about bullet weights only, you also need to find out which powder type and how much of that powder your rifle proforms best with.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    scott w moore,

Has your rifle been bore sighted with the scope already?

If it hasn't, you'll want to save time and dollars by bore sighting at the range first and make any adjustments necessary to get the scope and bore to the center of the target. Once you've established this, use factory ammunition to check the POI and refine the adjustments. Now you have something to use for comparison.

My second suggestion is to use a chronograph to establish the velocity of the factory ammunition in your rifle. Use this to compare with your reloads. These two things provide a baseline of information that will help you develop proper, accurate loads.

Best.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Scott,

Something to add here. Spend the first three rounds at 25 yds. Technically, boresighting should put you right in there at 100 yds. However, I found that unless you have someone with a lot of experience in how to work out the variables of boresighting, you can be off paper @ 100 yds. That can get frustrating. With zeroing at super short ranges you are almost always on paper with a way to adjust to where you want to be. Just remember to multiply by 4 the adjustments you make to get you there, i.e. a '1/4 MOA per click' scope will only move 1/16th of an inch @ 25 yds.

It also shows how you are grouping. Because at that range groups are almost entirely you. Unless there is something seriously wrong with the rifle, quirks in it's accuracy capability won't come out until further downrange.

FWIW, the Army, and the other services as well I'm sure, start you out at 25m for this very reason.