In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

browning brass

j3081j3081 Member Posts: 332 ✭✭✭
hey guys,,,found about 35 338 win mag brass in the back of my gran dads reloading cabinet marked browning 338 win mag,primed but tarnished,,,anyone use this brass and is it safe to tumble in walnut media with primer in for my own use,,,gran dad says they were once fired,killed a zebra,lion,and a wildebeast in africa with them,,,are they still safe to reload or dump-em,,,thanks,,,joe [:D][:D][:D]

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I've fired brass from as far back as 1902 if it is of any help. I've reloaded it too.

If the primers are less than 40 years old, it should be non-corrosive. I'd try capping one or two off to see if they are still good. Primers last basically forever if not subjected to heat or moisture; given that these are not in a sealed container, I'd check them before loading a lot.

Otherwise the brass should be fine- check for splits, bulges, etc., check for length- if ok, then go for it.

The tarnish shouldn't hurt anything but tumbling the live case might plug the flashhole above the primer so I'd not do that. I'd be more inclined to tumble the round once loaded if the cosmetics are an issue to you.