In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.45 ACP reloads - SWC OAL?

bigcitybillbigcitybill Member Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭
What I'm looking for is a good starting point or a known standard overall length for semi-wads. Thanks, Bill

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    1.235 for a 200SWC.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seat them with about .030" of the shoulder above the case mouth and take what OAL that gives you. Seat a little deeper if they do not chamber fully.

There are numerous different SWC moulds and the same OAL will not work for all.
  • macabestmacabest Member Posts: 104 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I seat mine with about 1/8th" of the shoulder sticking out of the case.. that's with 200 gr swc.
    Marc
  • bigcitybillbigcitybill Member Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all for the input. I ran out of 200 grainers and am starting over with a batch of 185s. I realize that not all bullets are created equal but was looking for a starting point.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Disassemble the slide from frame remove barrel Take loaded round with case mouth sized with taper crimp to.469 adjust seater die to allow the cartridge to chamber fully from it's own weight. The case head should be 005-.010 below flush with the back of the barrel hood. then make sure the round will fit in the Magazine. This OAL will give you best groups and loading but might be too long to get a loaded round out of ejection port NOT A PROBLEM if you drop magazine first and then let loaded round fall out the magazine well.
  • bigcitybillbigcitybill Member Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Hello Disassemble the slide from frame remove barrel Take loaded round with case mouth sized with taper crimp to.469 adjust seater die to allow the cartridge to chamber fully from it's own weight. The case head should be 005-.010 below flush with the back of the barrel hood. then make sure the round will fit in the Magazine. This OAL will give you best groups and loading but might be too long to get a loaded round out of ejection port NOT A PROBLEM if you drop magazine first and then let loaded round fall out the magazine well.

THANKS for that info perry shooter. I see what you're saying - use the chamber as the gauge. It hadn't occurred to me to consider ejecting a loaded round but I see why you mention it. I'll probably use dcs shooters' 1.235 to start and go from there.
    edited November -1
    That 1.235 is what I use for 200SWC. Check the length of the 185's you are going to use against the 200's. Some are shorter. My 200's have about 1/6in. of the shoulder out of the case.
  • SkeedaddySkeedaddy Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Colt Commander has problems ejecting loaded 230 gr FN (1.20 "), but my Kimber does just fine.
    edited November -1
    If your commander is stock, the ejection port has not been opened up. The Kimbers come from the factory lowered and opened up so they will eject a loaded round.