In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New Guy, Wants to buy new setup

I am looking around, and really dont know what i am getting into w/ reloading. I have read a ton of info, and i cant seem to find a "kit" that i want to walk away with. Maybe i just dont have some common sense help. Is there a kit that will start me out to reload out the door, minus bullets, brass, and primers? I went to a local gun store, and they wanted me to spend almost 700 buck just to get me started, and that seem a little high. All i shoot is .308, .243, .223, .357, and 9mm. I want to start on the military rounds, because i have a ton of LakeCity brass that i shoot/save. I have been told the rifles i use need "short" dies because they are semi-autos, so..... any help for this Newbie on a package, and some dies would be GREAT! thanks to everyone for reading my NOVEL!

Comments

• Options
    ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=646599&t=11082005

These are great presses I have two of them and am very happy with them.
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    recommend the rock chucker too. RCBS is great stuff.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    That RCBS kit from Midway is a good place to start. You might also check out the Lee kits they have. For semi-auto's you need full lenght sizing dies, for military rifles. If you shoot a Rem. semi or pump you might need a small base sizer.
  • Options
    flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.wideners.com/ is cheaper than midway but they don't have as big of a stock. Check out the kits on midway then shop around as you may find the one you want cheaper. Then grab some dies and a pair of calipers. You will have to full lenght size the ammo for your semi auto's. You may need to get some small base die for the semi auto's but I'd try normal die first, as you may not need the small base die.

With the LC brass make sure you lower your charge a grain or two from the manual. Military brass has a smaller volume which raises pressure faster.

Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions. There are lots of people on the forum that really know what they are doing and love to share their wisdom. [:D]
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I own a rockchucker because I got it used for $50.

If I were buying one new press to start it would be the Lee classic cast. Just as beefy and half the price of the RCBS unit.

Still, to start a Lee anniversery kit would serve you well.
  • Options
    surveillancemikesurveillancemike Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    So is sounds like it doesnt really matter on the brand, so much as you dont buy unknow junk, stuff you didnt list here? It isnt sounding as bad as the guy made it out to be.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    surveillancemike,

I can't say which is stronger between Lee and RCBS. But I can tell you that the Rockchucker is a very strong press. There are a number of times I have needed that strength. Full length sizing of big cases fired through generous sized chambers. I recommend that even if you don't go with the RCBS Rockchucker, go with the biggest strongest standard reloading press from the manufacturer you buy from.

-good luck
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dad started with a RCBS kit years(like 25) ago, I still use the press and scale. I've added and change things but you can't go wrong with the RCBS kit. I also recommend the Hornady kit, but they are both good. Never had a bad product from either of those companies. Both kits will get you going, add one more manual or better yet find someone in your area that reloads and get started. If you were in Des Moines, I'd help. Also I do like the Hornady dies a little better than RCBS but I use both.
  • Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think Lee could hold a candle to RCBS...But I do own some Lee stuff. Lee has it's place in reloading no doubt about it...Just not as strong and durable as RCBS,Redding,C&H and others.

quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    surveillancemike,

I can't say which is stronger between Lee and RCBS. But I can tell you that the Rockchucker is a very strong press. There are a number of times I have needed that strength. Full length sizing of big cases fired through generous sized chambers. I recommend that even if you don't go with the RCBS Rockchucker, go with the biggest strongest standard reloading press from the manufacturer you buy from.

-good luck
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    greystonegreystone Member Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used Lee presses and haven't ever had any proplems. Midsouth has this kit on sale right now. Can't beat the price. Dave

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0000690030
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:I don't think Lee could hold a candle to RCBS

Bought one once and returned it before I got it completely out of the box...very poor quality compared to RCBS.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by greystone
    I've used Lee presses and haven't ever had any proplems. Midsouth has this kit on sale right now. Can't beat the price. Dave

Is this everything? I mean it is low price! what else would i need?
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by surveillancemike

It is a very good deal for a good solid starting point; You will need brass, powder, bullets and a willingness to learn. Read all you can on the forums and ask any question that needs asked. We will help you!
  • Options
    edited November -1

Besides the components, you'll need a loading manual, dies, a pair of calipers to measure overall length, as well as any other measurments, and if you get that kit lee's case trimmer-the cutter is in the kit.

The lee kit is a good deal when just starting. I've just started reloading-got my stuff for Christmas- and I decided to go with the Lee kit. I read the reviews on midway's site and decided for the price it couldn't be beat and happy with it so far. And if you decide you don't want to stick with it you're not out nearly as much as if you get the RCBS kit. As a side note, asking about brands is like asking ford vs chevy vs dodge. Everyone will tell you one brand is good and the other's are crap.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok, so i am going to buy that kit, what kinda of dies do i need? Sorry to ask again, just want to get it right before i order. The first round i want to work on is the .308. Right now i shoot is the M118LR(i know, hard round to start with) that i shoot out of my M14. What powder? Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'd get some Lee Pacesetters. They have a full length resizing die, bullet seater, and a factory crimp die. Other brands may be better but lee's are half the price. If you ammo doesn't want to feed properly then get a small base die. As far as powder I'd go with IMR 4064 or IMR 4895. Be careful on your powder selection there so you don't damage the gas system. I'm sure others will chime in on powder and dies.
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok, so i am going to buy that kit, what kinda of dies do i need? Sorry to ask again, just want to get it right before i order. The first round i want to work on is the .308. Right now i shoot is the M118LR(i know, hard round to start with) that i shoot out of my M14. What powder? Thanks
    Hi Mike, your interest in reloading is refreshing to hear, but before you start dumping powder in a case, and I can't stress this enough, you have got to get at least one good reloading manual, I prefer the Lyman 48th Edition Reloading Handbook......there are several other good books and others will let you know that here...I think the Lyman Handbook is as good as any...I started with a Lyman manual over 20 years ago....Its a great foundation for your introduction to reloading.......oh yeah The Lee kit is a good starter kit.......and if you feel the need for a little heavier duty press later on you can use the lee for your handgun stuff and step up to a RCBS rock chucker for the bottleneck stuff.(I've had the same Rockchucker press since I started) THANKS FOR READING MY NOVEL[;)] and happy reloading.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Do you think that this press wont get the job done? Does .308 need a heavy duty press? Thanks for the info, will let you know what book i buy, or am going to look at when i see one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    From what I have read about the Lee challenger presses I personally would not trust them for resizing rifle brass

Now the Lee Classic cast press would make you a fine press for any and all of your reloading chores
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So it wont REsize brass, but will reload them. I am new, so i assume that mean the neck wont be right on in measurements.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It will resize brass

But it MAY not be srong enough for large cartriges such as 308,30/06 or other larger rifle rounds

A guy I work with bought one and it broke after about 80 cases of 308. These presses would probably be fine for pistol cases they are built very cheaply and break the toggle links when used for heavy resizing such as large rifles
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I understand, just run w/ this one, but buy the classic press later on, got you! Thanks!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My advice would be to be to buy the challenger kit and while you are at it go ahead and add a classic cast press to your order then you will have a heavy press for resizing and you can use the smaller press for a bullet seating press

The Classic cast is only arond $70 so you would still be under $200 for the whole set up

And dont forget to order dies and make sure your kit has shell holders if not be sure to order them[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So one to resize, one to seat bullets? Now, lee has kits for the round that i want to reload, just buy the calibure i want right?
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    konamtbikerkonamtbiker Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i dont think anyone recommended a good bench for you. I bought one of these and it is awesome. Well worth it for a beginner reloader. Whats really great about it. Is that you can customize it to any dimension you would like.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602007-cat20849&id=0031351215763a&navCount=2&podId=0031351&parentId=cat20849&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20849&hasJS=true
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What is a good tumbler for the price? I am making a wishlist on Cabelas to keep a list of what i need
  • Options
    popgunpopgun Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi fellas.

I'd like to jump in now, if I may, as I too am looking for a proper set up. I "think" I've found it - but if I now say anything wrong or misguided, I will appreciate your setting me straight.

I will be loading .308 to begin with (for a Remington 700 "heavy barrel",) and maybe .44 mag and 9mm once I have more experience (but I do mostly rifle shooting now.) I reloaded .44 Mag and .38 about 30 years ago, but nothing since.

I think I'll go with the "classic" Lee turret press, as - except for a few "nit-picky" reviews - it gets 5-star ratings almost exclusively, and a couple of the reviews said it was fine for .308.

I was considering the Lee 1000 progressive press, but all the reviews say it's a turkey - so I'll stick with the turret, since it's 5-star, and the other progressives and turrets are all pretty expensive!

One of the reviews of the Lee turret press said it had some "slop" in it - so that it wasn't as accurate at resizing cases as the other presses - and therefore couldn't make super accurate rounds because of that (though it is fine for target ammo.)

So what I thought I might do is use my 30 year-old (but only moderately used) single stage RCBS press (the smaller one than the Chucker) just to resize my .308 cases (I'd get a Lee resizing die, as I assume Lee dies work on RCBS presses?) and then use the turret press for everything else.

That ought to allow me to load accurate loads with the Lee - especially since their $30 powder measure http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=348753 seems to be one of the most accurate made (at least according to the Midway reviews.)

I already have an old, but still fully functional RCBS lever scale(for check measuring loads,) and will buy the press, .308 dies, auto-primer, powder measure and other recommended items for the press from Midway in order to get started - along with a good manual, of course.

If any of you see any possible problems for me in my choices, I'd appreciate your input.

I intend to start off very slowly and carefully with the turret press, and triple check all my steps; but I want the turret so that once I know fully what I'm doing, I'll then have the ability to load faster as my knowledge and ability increases.

So thanks a lot for any comments.
  • Options
    Remington1981Remington1981 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by csjs1194
    It will resize brass

But it MAY not be srong enough for large cartriges such as 308,30/06 or other larger rifle rounds

A guy I work with bought one and it broke after about 80 cases of 308. These presses would probably be fine for pistol cases they are built very cheaply and break the toggle links when used for heavy resizing such as large rifles

The challenger will re-size big calibers such as 25/06 and .270. I have had one for about 2 years now an have re-loaded sevral hundred rounds of both. I am getting ready to start loading .308 as well. I haven't had any trouble at all.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Go to http://www.midwayusa.com/ and read the reviews of the lee and RCBS presses being talked about. I don't buy much from midway but I do love reading the reviews before I buy something. I'm not saying anything bad about the either brand but the recent reviews, within the last year, haven't been real good for RCBS, especially for the price. Just a thought.
  • Options
    Remington1981Remington1981 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't thing that anything is wrong with RCBS they are a little costly but I know guys that have had the same Rockchuckers for 20 years. I do use a lee challenger because, It was given to me as a gift. I have had people tell me that it won't last, but so far so good!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If you go to Midway and read all of those bad reviews most of those guys are complaining about spent primers missing the catcher and getting on the floor and the catcher being a little awkward to get off of the press. The easy way to keep from spilling the primer catcher when removing it is not to let it fill up to overflowing before you emty it.

For my money it will always be an RCBS or a Redding.

Good luck with whatever you decide[;)]
  • Options
    UncleFuddUncleFudd Member Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Dillon presses.

I have been loading rifle pistol and shotgun since 1963 and at one time or another I think I have not only used but still have in working order most of the presses mentioned here and then some. In fact it ususally works out to a sepcific press for specific ammo when all is said and done.

I have an old CH press that I bought in 1989 and still use it once in a while but my Redding, Lee and RCBS have all been shelved in favor of the Dillon presses.

I have the 550 for rifle ammo especially for loading my varmit ammo which I want the best accuracy that I can get with a multiple stage press. It has been my go to press for a long time and doesn't matter whether I am loading my 22s or 257 or 30 cals. It always throws rounds accurate enough to cover 3 shot groups with dime to quarter size holes over and over. Most of the growing groups has to do with my advancing age than poor performance with a press.

I also use the 650 and 1050 for pistol rounds but it is only because I already had the presses and just have them all set up so I don't have to make many changes.
    I use a MEC 9,000 for all of my SG loading.

But the point is that with the warranty that Dillon has on all his presses along with their durability and accuracy I find it hard to beat even the going prices as mentioned in one of the other repllies.

I am currently helping a couple of younger guys get their first set up and it is the Dillon 550B and they are going in together for all the pieces and parts and will both be loading 308 to begin with.
    My personal recommendation would be to check out all the benefits of the Dillons before you put any money into any other press.

A good example for me is that I had used the 550 for about 6 years and then decided to have them check it out and replace anything that was worn etc. I got it back about 5 days later with nearly every part new and they never charged me a dime. It is true I load a lot of ammo on mine so they do have a chance to wear more than usual but Dillon after rebuilding all of my presses has never charged me for checkup. In addition if you ever have a problem, they have someone to guide you or help you immediatly.

Just another little bit of food for thought. Why not buy the best and know that for as long as you own it and regardless of how you use it, they will and do stand behind their products.

Kenny
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by csjs1194
    If you go to Midway and read all of those bad reviews most of those guys are complaining about spent primers missing the catcher and getting on the floor and the catcher being a little awkward to get off of the press. The easy way to keep from spilling the primer catcher when removing it is not to let it fill up to overflowing before you emty it.

For my money it will always be an RCBS or a Redding.

Good luck with whatever you decide[;)]

+1
  • Options
    sirgknightsirgknight Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mike, you have been given a lot of good advice here and you couldn't really go wrong with any of the recommendations. Now-a-days it pretty much depends on how much you want to spend and how glamorous you want your reloading area to look. As for me, I started out with the Lee single stage reloader kit (paid $68.95 brand new) and I haven't regretted it a bit. With that kit all you need to add is a set of dies, (I also prefer Lee), and your components....brass, powder, primers. I would also invest in a good Tumbler and right now MidwayUSA has a very nice Frankford Arsenal tumbler on sale for $35. You can't beat that price anywhere. I bought one last year when they were on sale and absolutely love it. Whatever you decide to buy I'm sure you will love it and I wish you well with your (our) endeavors. Good luck and safe loading....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I finaly got the kit in the mail on friday, and WOW. It has a lot of stuff. It came w/ some manual, mainly on grain for each load, but was made by a powder company. I had my wife pic me up some short .308 dies for m14, a Speer Reloading manual, and some other little things. I do need a tumbler because most of the brass i have is LC, so will check out Midway. Now, on a tumbler, is it best to get one that does EVERYthing, or one that is more a do-it-yourself setup? I understand what a tumbler does, just dont know how it works.