In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

lube decision???

I am stuck between two choices when using my steel dies. Need some recommendations of the two:

RCBS lube kit (lube, pad and brushes)
or
Imperial Sizing wax

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    goldeneagle76,

I use the RCBS (lube, pad only) in the summer, It tends to run a little thick in the winter up here and is hard to get thin enough. For my regular winter lube I use Lymans spray. Very thin and usable down to as cold I want to reload. I have my reloading set-up in my unheated garage.

I have never used the Imperial sizing wax but have heard it works great. Especially when forming one type case from another.
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    I am set up in a room tempurature basement, cold shouldn't affect me. RCBS lube is available in stores here, Imperial I would have to order. Was just curious about them both. Thanks
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    been using the imperial wax for quite a while. A little goes a long way and it works very well. A small can will likely last you 5+ yrs
  • Options
    lpaalplpaalp Member Posts: 947 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I switchced from lube & pad to Imperial a couple of years ago, based on reccomendations on another forum. Either will do the job; I have a slight preference for Imperial because the case is a little easier to clean after sizing (I use alcohol on a rag to wipe it off). When using case lube, I used to find an occasional sticky case.

IMO, the choice is mostly personal preference and what you get used to.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the RCBS pump spray lube. I stand the cases in a block mouth up and spray from the side and a little in the mouths. I can size cases twice as fast if I don't have to lube the inside of the necks like I do with individually lubed cases. This lube cleans off well in the tumbler but does contaminate your media. If you have some cases that are really oversized Lee case lube will prevent stuck cases completely but build up in the sizer die. It also cleans off well, does not contaminate powder/primers, and is skin friendly. A tube of it will last for a long time if you keep the cap on tight. I've been using one tube for so long that the tube itself got brittle from age and split. I put it in a ziplock and kept using the remainder.
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    ordered some Imperial today
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last time I ordered from Midway they were out of the RCBS pump spray so I tried the Frankford pump spray lube instead. Used some this evening and it works as well as the RCBS and a bigger bottle for the same$$$. I tend to overlube but this stuff makes sizing 223 almost too easy.It comes off quickly in the tumbler too.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    The imperial is great stuff but is best used SPARINGLY. It is also just basically anhydrous lanolin, which can be purchased cheaper off fleabay- I got a 1 lb tub for $9. RCBS is good stuff too, as is Lee, as is Dillon. The only one I've ever had stuck cases with is Hornady 1 shot.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm going to have to amend my first post here. At least say that for every statement there is a counter statement.

I'm out reloading in my garage this week. I got 340 pieces of once fired A191 brass from a guy I know. As some of you may know this stuff is loaded pretty hot. Also, someone there on the range where my friend got this had a big chamber. .002" bigger than everyone else's. Needless to say I've stuck more than a couple cases. After ten, and sticking four, I quit using the Lymans and switched to RCBS. I've stuck four more in the next 90(94 counting stuck cases). Needless to say I'm using the RCBS none too sparingly. At least for this round of reloading. I'll neck size them the next time.
  • Options
    03lover03lover Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't used Imperial, but I have used most of the popular brands of greasy or oily lubes in the past. I didn't like cleaning the casings and even the tumbler media gets progressively more oily quite soon and fails to remove all the lube. Even a very thin film of lube on a case can cause pressure problems on bolt lugs.

Unlike the oily lubes the wax type lubes clean up easily. Depending on the quantity of brass you have, it can easily wiped off or tumbled off. When tumbling the wax lube off the media lasts a long time.

I have been using the Lee case sizing lube for a long time now and have never had a stuck case. I also don't have any more lube dents in the case necks of my bottle neck cases. Lee lube works great inside the case neck for reducing the expander drag to very little.

I use the Lee lube diluted one part lube and no less than one part water. Lee lube is a water soluble wax. It will seperate over time so I shake it well before using. I use the lube like any of the oily ones by applying it wet to a case and then sizing it. The case size easier wet than dry when using the lube diluted. After sizing, the lube dries quickly leaving thin white powder that is easily cleaned off.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 03lover
    I haven't used Imperial, but I have used most of the popular brands of greasy or oily lubes in the past. I didn't like cleaning the casings and even the tumbler media gets progressively more oily quite soon and fails to remove all the lube. Even a very thin film of lube on a case can cause pressure problems on bolt lugs.

Unlike the oily lubes the wax type lubes clean up easily. Depending on the quantity of brass you have, it can easily wiped off or tumbled off. When tumbling the wax lube off the media lasts a long time.

I have been using the Lee case sizing lube for a long time now and have never had a stuck case. I also don't have any more lube dents in the case necks of my bottle neck cases. Lee lube works great inside the case neck for reducing the expander drag to very little.

I use the Lee lube diluted one part lube and no less than one part water. Lee lube is a water soluble wax. It will seperate over time so I shake it well before using. I use the lube like any of the oily ones by applying it wet to a case and then sizing it. The case size easier wet than dry when using the lube diluted. After sizing, the lube dries quickly leaving thin white powder that is easily cleaned off.
    I also use a lot of Lee lube; I dilute it with alcohol so it dries faster as I DO still get dents in SOME dies if I use it wet. I dilute it 10:1- so I can spray it. I've not had a stuck case yet but for a really beefy resizing job I might use more lube and less alcohol.

What wax lubes tumble off? Dillon and Imperial are lanolin based and contribute to the aforementioned 'greasy' issue of tumbler media.
  • Options
    frykasjfrykasj Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seven words:
    Dillon spray lube and a cookie sheet!
  • Options
    codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    After my last experiment with lube alternatives, I'm pretty convinced that Imperial (or the hydrous lanolin-haven't tried it yet) is the way to go. I probably use way more than I should and my can has barely a dent after several thousand cases. This is 2 large coffe cans a night and 6 each day on weekends for the last 2 weeks. Not a single case stuck.

I may toast my second tumbler tho' the thing has been running constantly for the whole time.