In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

reloading 223 for remington 700

Question, Anyone know the barrel twist of the remington 700 ADL. its hard to find info on this rifle. Then, based on that what kinda of bullet weight would you reccomend for it?

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How old?

I was under the impression that back in the 70's the twists were 1-12". Nowadays they are 1-10" or 1-9".

The best way to tell is to take a good one piece cleaning rod that turns easily in it's handle. Install a jag with a patch that fits snug in your barrel. Insert this into your barrel to where you are snug in the rifling. Take a marking pen and mark a reference point that as you continue to insert the rod into the barrel you can easily see, i.e. mark the rod at the rear tang. Next make a mark at exactly the top center of your rod about 8" back. Insert the rod further into the barrel and note the rotation of the rod. When the top center mark of the rod returns to zero, mark the exact reference point you marked previously. Finish the patch out the end of the barrel and then measure the distance between the two reference marks. That will be the number of inches per twist. -good luck

fishing dude,

I forgot the other half of my post. 55's maybe 60's will stabilize with 1-12 twists. In order to stabilize a 69 gr. bullet you need at least a 1-10 if not a 1-9. The military has gone to an extremely tight twist of 1-7.5 so that they can garauntee the stabilization of the 62 gr. M855. My savage 12FV with 1-9" twist takes to 60 gr. Sierras(and when I spend the money)60 gr. partitions like a duck to water. When I load it with 68-69 gr.(Hornady, Sierra) it likes to hog out, until I get up to the maximum load.

I haven't looked into Remington as of late, I would take JustC's word for it though, he is a remington guy with a lot of experience in that arena, if you haven't yet checked for yourself about the twist rate of Remm 700's in .223. One other resource most of us overlook is the manual that comes with the rifle. I found 1-10" twist in the manual of the Classic 700 in 8mm I got for my son this year.

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>
  • Options
    fishingdude7fishingdude7 Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just bought it last weekend at gartsports (they were having a pretty good sale on their firearms if anyone else noticed). So it was probably made within the last year or so i'd imagine.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1:12", so anything up to 70gr +/- will stabilize well and maybe a bit heavier.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    My Savage 12FV (synthetic stock, single shot, bull barrel) REALLY likes 69 gr Sierra's. 1" group at 300 yards. Mine has a 1:9 twist though.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    fishingdude7,

The twist rate for the current run of Remington rifles chambered in .223 Rem. is supposed to be 1:12" but you should use the cleaning rod method of determining the twist for yourself.

Bear in mind that twist is based on bullet length in the formulas but the manufacturers still insist on using weight for an approximation. Hornady and Sierra at least are listing a recommended twist rate on their packaging for some of their bullets.

Based on the 12" twist, here is the list from Shilen barrels for recommended bullet weights:

.224 CF

8" For bullets heavier than 70 gr.
    9" For bullets up to 70 gr.
    12" For bullets up to 63 gr.
    14" For bullets up to 55 gr.
    15"* For bullets up to 55 gr. driven 4,100 fps or more
    16"* For bullets up to 55 gr. driven 4,300 fps or more

Dan Lilja, on his website (http://www.riflebarrels.com/products/caliber_twist_rates.htm), recommends that the 12" twist will handle up to 60 grain bullets. There are always going to be exceptions and that's fine, but for the regular guy shooting regular bullets, on the average, 60 to 63 gr. bullets are suitable for your twist rate.

Check your barrel and start testing!

Best.

rifleman.gif
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Forgot to add yesterday, if you want information on the loads & capabilities....email me.

I did not find any over the counter loads - factory, wolf, burnaul, or military surplus, that would group very well with mine.

I have worked approximately 90 loads with several different bullets and powders....of course...from recommendations on this forum.
  • Options
    fishingdude7fishingdude7 Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    awesome thanks. I'll try the cleaning rod method and see where my twist is and then go from there. I probably wont start reloading for a week or two but once that happens I may ask for suggestions since you really seem to know about this. Thanks again