In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

2BGood2BGood Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
I am going to start working up some rounds for my AR-15. In .223 I was wondering what bullet and weight and powder to start with. All I have ever shot out of it in the past is a 55grn Full metel jacket.
Any ideas?
I have thought about just going out and buying some factory rounds in differant weights to see what the gun likes. Is there a better way?

Thanks in advance
2B

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2BGood,

First, I would find out what twist you have and work from that standpoint. A lot of guys I know really like varget. I didn't have all that much success with it but I found that I wasn't loading hot enough. One of my favorite recipes is the standard(at one time or another?) is 25.5 grs. of 4895 behind a 55 gr. bullet. This gives great velocity and sub .5 MOA accuracy. This isn't the best accuracy load but it is the least expensive for that kind of accuracy. I also load 25 grs of 4895 behind a 60 gr. Sierra.

For my best accuracy, I use 24 gr. of XMR2015 behind either a 55 gr. V-max or a 60 gr. Sierra Varminter. I use all Win SR primers. -good luck

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>