In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Barnes Bullets

Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
Hey all,
I see that Barnes has introduced a new .224" dia. bullet. A 70 gr triple shock X-bullet. Does anybody now the velocitite for this bullet in a .220 swift? Sounds like a good whitetail bullet to me.
Thanks

"The man who can hunt with 1 gun is the most dangerous, but that doesn't mean you can't have a lot of guns"

http://www.geocities.com/jonnya0322/

Comments

• dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Would depend at what you loaded it at and length of barrel.
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    24" inch barrel, but not sure about the powder choice and load amount. Am kinda wanting some suggestions on that as well as velocities.

"The man who can hunt with 1 gun is the most dangerous, but that doesn't mean you can't have a lot of guns"

• mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    You could try to contact Barnes as they will probably know more about it than anyone else will.

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrbruce
    You could try to contact Barnes as they will probably know more about it than anyone else will.
    I will say it will need a pretty fast twist, far faster than a factory rifle will have.

• Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ahh, very valid point mrbruce. I guess I was so excited to see this that I hadn't even thought of that yet. I was looking at a Ruger M77 and I believe the twist is 1:14". Thanks.

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jon,

Right off the bat, you need to consider a rifle with a twist rate of at least 1:8 according to Barnes. There has been some discussion where a 1:9 has been successful but only with an additional increase in velocity. You should be able to get at least 3200 FPS from the Swift but use a chronograph for load development just in case. Be sure to check the shape of the hole in the paper to be sure that this bullet is stabilized.

This is a blurb from another forum where a hunter used these loaded in a 22-250 for hogs in Texas:

"The next bullet up was the new 70 grain Barnes triple shock. I launched one at an 90 lb. pig hauling some serious butt at 300 yards braud side. I nailed him in the front shoulder and he instantly collapsed dead. Post mortum revealed a massive wound channel through lots of heavy bone in both shoulders, as well as ribs. The bullet was found just under the skin of the off side shoulder....facing the opposite direction (it was backwards). The pic shows that the bullet failed to expand much and would have probably not expanded at all had it not hit so much bone. The bullet didn't really fail, because the pig was seriously crunched, but the bullet did fail to mushroom. Impact velocity would have been in the 2,500 fps range, near as I can figure. I expected it to open up a lot more.

The triple shocks group in the .8's in my rifle, with little load development. I haven't played with seating depth or anything. I am sure they will shoot better than that with some tinkering, but I didn't have time before the hunt. I actually did the load development 2 hours before my flight to Texas. I have tried 6 different powder charges and they are all just over 3/4" at 100 yards. They aren't the most accurate bullet in my rifle, but more than great for medium game hunting for which they were designed. I think the 52 grain X's work better in the .22-250 for better velocity and better mushrooms. I still feel that any of the X bullets really need a lot of velocity to work their best. I think the 70 grain bullets would be the meow in a high stepping .22 like the .22-284 or something along those lines. I have found this to be the case in several calibers when using X bullets. They like to be driven fast and the middle weight for caliber X's work the best at crunching stuff."

The rest of the thread is pretty much a wasted argument that doesn't apply to the bullet but here is the link anyway:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=477704

Sectional Density: .199
    Ballistic Coefficient: .314

Notes:

This bullet must be used in a 1 in 7" or 1 in 8" twist barrel

Made of solid copper (no separate core or jacket).

Heat treated for extra toughness.

Hollow cavity in the nose.

Three rings in bullet designed to allow higher velocities and less bore fouling.

Barnes recommends initially seating bullets .050" off the lands. Best accuracy will be found from .030" to .070" depending on the rifle.

rifleman.gif