In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

22 Hornet

beaglebeagle Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
I have a Ruger 77/22 Hornet standard. I have had this rifle for a couple of years and have not developed any loads for it. Can someone give me thier favorite loads?

Comments

• Options
    PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two Hornets:
    CZ 527 bolt gun-13 grains of Lil'Gun under a 35 grain V-MAX-has shot 5 shot groups under .25 inch.
    Martini Model 12-11 grains of Lil'Gun with the same bullet-consistant .50 groups.
    Use Remington 1 1/2 primers (Small Pistol).
    I think it is time for another of these insects (or maybe a Bee)!
    Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I accidently used small pistol primers in a .221 Fireball load in a contender. Pierced primers. Has that ever happened with your Hornet? Yea, I also have a Springfield M6 in Hornet. I love these small, old cases.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I have a number of hornets and have found in a bolt action like winchester model 43's and 70's and walther kkj as well as bruno mauser. the center hole in the bolt is very small so the fireing pin spring is also small and has less power then large bore centerfire rifles so all of mine shoot smaller groups with pistol primers then rifle primers.
  • Options
    tatercatstatercats Member Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot a NO.1 hornet. I use small pistol primers (a couple have pierced on me but they are better than the small rifle primers in my opinion). Currently i am shooting 45 grn hollow points, but soon i am going to switch to 35 grn v max. i am trimming the cases at max trim length then filling the case flush with IMR 4227 (i know this is way past the max powder load, but the NO.1 can take it and to me the faster i shoot it the more accurate it becomes). i go through a lot of brass, but it is shooting very good. when i had my 77/22, it always threw them, but the 45 grn bullets did decent. i was at 1.5"-2" groupings with the 77/22 and lighter powder loads. with the NO.1 i pulled them to about .5"-.75" groups at 100 yds with the heavy powder loads. at 200 yds it is dropping them to about 2"-2.25" groupings. the hornet is a very fun little round to shoot. it does great on groundhogs. i am currently using a 3x9 but am thinking of upgrading to a 4x12, but the 3x9 is sufficient.
  • Options
    PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a few pierced primers when I worked up the load for the Martini. Lowered the charge, and everything is A-OK now. Have used both Remmington and Winchester small pistol primers in both loads, and prefer the Remmington--they seem more consistant.
    Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live"
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like the man said, small pistol primers are the way to go. I've had excellent results with 35 grain V-Max and Lil'Gun powder. High velocity, low pressure, extreme accuracy. I don't crimp, but do clean the inside of the necks with 0000 steel wool. Credit for the above combination goes to Steve Meacham.
    Final note; the case is so small, that consistency becomes paramount. Treat it like a bench rest round and the rewards are considerable.

Rob
  • Options
    edited November -1